Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

MUI Pack in XP Pro SP3

• Please log in to reply

AwkwardlyReversed

AwkwardlyReversed

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello, smart people!

Here's the problem. I just had Windows XP Professional SP3 installed. It's the original English version, but there's a Russian person in the house who would want her account to be in Russian. And here's where the fun starts. We don't have the CDs, we got our OS from my mom's work that just gives you one download, one key punch-in, and everything else is pretty much your own problem. I'm not even sure about how that whole thing works, but bottom line is we can't get the MUI Pack from the CD like I presume Microsoft had it in mind.
Previously, we had the same OS, but it started off from SP2, which as far as I understand had the MUI in it from the start, but SP3 doesn't have that. Obviously none of the MUI pack updates work because they require the SP2 MUI pack that we do not possess.
Is there any way at all to get any kind of Language pack for our OS? I've been researching for days and can't seem to find a solution. Yes, I realize buying a new OS would solve it all, but that's not an option at the moment. I also realize that various torrents or whatever they're called will probably let you download just about anything, but I'm looking for a legal solution for the problem or else we're just gonna have to deal.
I'd appreciate any relevant ideas you might have.
Thanks in advance.

My apologies if I posted this in the wrong section.

Advertisements

Mythio

Mythio

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
Hi AwkwardlyReversed,

The language packs on the following site should enable you to change the language of the interface, etc to Russian on windows XP SP3.
Russian is among the languages available, make sure to download the right one.

Can you try if this language pack solves your problem?

Edit:.link removed.

Hope to help,

Mythio

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts

We don't have the CDs, we got our OS from my mom's work that just gives you one download, one key punch-in, and everything else is pretty much your own problem. I'm not even sure about how that whole thing works, but bottom line is we can't get the MUI Pack from the CD like I presume Microsoft had it in mind.

This site does NOT support the illegal or improper use of Software.
I would seriously doubt that the use of a Microsoft CD from your mom`s work, on your home computer is legal and in accordance with the licence granted by Microsoft.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 29 November 2010 - 07:11 AM.

AwkwardlyReversed

AwkwardlyReversed

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Hi AwkwardlyReversed,

The language packs on the following site should enable you to change the language of the interface, etc to Russian on windows XP SP3.
Russian is among the languages available, make sure to download the right one.

Can you try if this language pack solves your problem?

Edit:link removed

Hope to help,

Mythio

I'm sorry if the question is excruciatingly dumb, but I don't deal with these sort of things often, so...is this, you know, legal?

This site does NOT support the illegal or improper use of Software.
I would seriously doubt that the use of a Microsoft CD from your mom`s work, on your home computer is legal and in accordance with the licence granted by Microsoft.

It is, actually. Microsoft is the one who gave them the key. One download is meant for every computer at her work and each employee is allowed to use the key for their home computer once. She signed a non-disclosure paper when she used the key. I'm glad to hear this website does NOT support illegal or improper use of software, because neither do I.

Edited by dsenette, 29 November 2010 - 09:31 AM.

Mythio

Mythio

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
Hi AwkwardlyReversed,

Sorry about the confusion, I misread your post.

The page I provided gives a download link for, the needed update for Russian.
It does seem that you will need the language pack for SP2, and this can only be aquired through microsoft.
Your best bet would be to contact microsoft and explain the situation. Perhaps they can help you by supplying new cd's, if you can prove your XP is legal.

I could not find a legal method of downloading the windows XP language packs, only the update.

Hope to help,

Mythio

AwkwardlyReversed

AwkwardlyReversed

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Yes, that's what I figured. Without the SP2 MUI Pack, there's kinda no-go on this.
I guess we'll ask the system administrator at my mom's work or contact Microsoft directly. We are entitled so support after all, so maybe they have a solution for this.

Thank you for your time, Mythio. :D

Mythio

Mythio

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
Hi AwkwardlyReversed,

You are welcome, hopefully you can solve the problem.

Mythio

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
the licensing on the MUI (from memory) simply requires that you have a valid license from Microsoft for the base OS. of course, you still have to use the MUI disks from MS to install the MUI (you can't download them from anywhere). so if the office has the MUI disks you can install the MUI pack that you're looking for (it's just a language pack, it doesn't modify the source code, or impact licensing).

AwkwardlyReversed

AwkwardlyReversed

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
That's my hope. If Microsoft provided them with the OS, I presume/hope it's the whole shebang, so my mom will just ask at work. I guess they just didn't give us the MUI at installation because it's not really an essential part of the system, rather more of an add-on.

Thanks everyone for your help.