Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help!

• Please log in to reply

doodly

doodly

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Ok so I wanted to format my dell inspiron 1501 earlier and so I popped in the windows XP CD but when I tried to format the computer it told me the windows XP version I had was older then the one on the computer so I couldn't install it. I had the bright idea to delete the partition and make a new one instead to install XP onto but for some reason now my computer just wont boot from my windows xp cd! I need some help with this. Thanks!

Advertisements

Mythio

Mythio

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
Hi doodly,

Did you try to boot from the CD the first time you tried to install windows?
Since you got a message that the current XP was older, I assume you tried to do it by inserting the CD after windows XP booted up.

Have you adjusted the bios to boot from the CD instead of the hard drive?
You will need to do this. On a dell inspiron you have to press F2 at the beginning when your computer boots up to get into the bios.
Look for the boot order options in the menu and make sure booting from CD is selected as the first option.
Save and exit the bios and your laptop will reboot. Then you should see a message appear "PRESS ANY KEY TO BOOT FROM CD".
When that message is shown press a key and boot from the XP CD.

Hope to help,

Mythio