Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dektop Randomly Freezing

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
For your consideration http://www.novatech....su-650txuk.html

Advertisements

midpoint

midpoint

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Well, I have replaced the PSU with an OCZ 600W one (the shops near me couldn't get the Corsair one for a couple of weeks, and I was eager to get one fitted today.)

The news, I'm afraid to say, is that the +12v is still showing 8.64V, which is exactly the same as the old one ;)

I thought there might have been a software bug in SpeedFan with my configuration so I've also installed PC Wizard 2010 and it also shows 8.64V, so its definitely not the program.

Incidentally the new PSU has made the computer quieter and it is also significantly cooler, so I'm happy about that :D

What should I try next?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Is the system still freezing? :D

midpoint

midpoint

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
It hasn't frozen yet, the computers been on for an hour or so now, and it seems to work fine...

If it all works as it should, then is it alright to ignore the 12v reading the programs are giving?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yeah I'm not going to get excited unless it can go for a day without freezing.
The next option would be to look at the OS itself to see if something is faulty there.

midpoint

midpoint

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I thought about the OS but I've tried fully reformatting and reinstalling everything before. The computer originally came with Vista64 Home Premium and all the usual crapware installed to go with it, so I have reformatted using Win7 64 Pro which I get through MSDNAA, this ran fine for a few months, but the freezing began so I then wiped it clean and reinstalled everything again.

The only way I can see it being software is if there is something which I have installed both times which is causing the instability, which is a possibilty as I will have reinstalled pretty much the same list of programs each time.

I'll report back in a day or two after I've seen how it runs, wish me luck!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hey you know it, we do wish you good luck. :D
I have to agree that it would seem something you are installing every time would be causing the issue.
If this doesn't work then the next option would be to start over, add one program at a time and try it for a couple of days. If no freezing then move on tot he next and keep going till you find the culprit.

midpoint

midpoint

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hey all,

I'd just like to update about this issue in case anyone has a similar problem in the future. Since replacing the PSU the computer has had absolutley zero crashes. I've tried running anything I can to stress it but nothing has thrown it off.

SpeedFan still reports a low voltage on the +12v rail, but I think this must just be a faulty reading as everything has been working fine.

Many thanks for the help I received, I'll hang around and help others out if I can.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It seems the issue has been resolved and I am glad you updated us.
I will continue to monitor this topic for awhile just in case.
Congratulations ;) ;) ;) :D

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Good to hear back from you and especially when you are posting that you have had no further issues ;)
Some people are quick to ask for help but not so quick to acknowledge receipt of it or to let others know assistance is no longer required ;) so thanks for taking time out to post the update :D
If you would like to check out your temps or voltages you can use this http://www.cpuid.com.../hwmonitor.html

Advertisements