Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Boot up problems

• Please log in to reply

inferlogic

inferlogic

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
Hi All,
I was diagnosing my Dell computer full of blue screens which i believe was hardware related. I decided to narrow down hard drive and memory. after testing the hard drive came out no errors and fine, after testing the memory one of my two 512 ram sticks had faults. I removed the bad one and left the other 512 stick in slot one and now for some reason the computer doesn't boot up properly. It goes to the BIOS, allows me to enter setup but after setup I get a black screen with a blinking curser at the top and stays like that, the hard drive seems to be just flashing constantly (as if loading) but doesn not seem to be loading the OS,

Anyone have any ideas what i could have done?

Edited by inferlogic, 30 November 2010 - 04:41 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
What version of Vista are you using? Home basic should run with 512MB of Ram all other versions require 1GB of Ram;
http://windows.micro...em-requirements

inferlogic

inferlogic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Hi,
This is one is still on XP media center, could this be a minimum ram issue even for the board?

Thanks

Edited by inferlogic, 30 November 2010 - 05:24 PM.

inferlogic

inferlogic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Ok it deffinitely seems to be a problem other than ram becuase I have reseated the old ram back in place and I still seem to have a boot problem! I don't know what I could have done. I did try cleaning up some of the dust in and around the inside of the computer with some kitchen roll but I can't see how this could have caused a problem!!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
The issue you are having could be pure coincidence and have nothing to do with your cleaning out the dust, you may have an OS issue, try this: 1:Press Ctrl Alt Delete and the Task Manager will come up, 2:Go to Processes Tab, 3: Right click on "explorer.exe" 4:Select "End Process" 5:Left click on File on the menu bar, 6:Select "New Task" 7: type "explorer" in the window that appears and press enter, good luck and let us know how this goes.