Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unrecognized Hard Drive?

• Please log in to reply

Candice98

Candice98

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I've recently purchased an older computer, a Quantex Windows 98 with an Intel II processor.
When I purchased this computer it didn't a Hard Drive and have put in 2...
A Western Digital 80 GB (2002) Model # WD800AB-22CBA1 and a Western Digital 853.6 MB (1998) Model # WDAC2850-00F

Now the problem seems to be that it's not recognizing one of the Hard-drives and currently only runs on the basic DOS program. I'd like to put a Windows 98 Operating System on my computer, but my CD ROM drive isn't recognized either...

What are some of the things that I may able to do, tinker with or what-have you that I could get anything working past DOS?

I attempted to find more information on my computer but couldn't find the motherboard information on the inside of my computer. If you need to know anything else please let me know and where I might be able to find this information.
Any help is greatly appreciated! I'd like to get my computer up and running sometime soon!
Many thanks, and lots of cookies! :D

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
If it's the 80Gb hard drive it can't see, it's almost certain the machine is too old to recognise a drive of that size.
Most machines of that age will only see hard drives smaller than 32Gb.

As to putting Windows 98 on it, it should be easily possible. However it sounds like you may need to replace the CD unit as well.

Candice98

Candice98

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I'm really not sure which hard-drive it is, that isn't being recognized. But I will relay the message as it's my brother's computer. :D I will have to take a look at what he's got available and see if there isn't something we can't do to get it up and running.
Thanks so much for the tips and advice! :3

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Being that old it is possible they are IDE drives also.
The jumper on the back may not be set correctly to slave and\or master if the drives are on the same ide ribbon. :D

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

Being that old it is possible they are IDE drives also.
The jumper on the back may not be set correctly to slave and\or master if the drives are on the same ide ribbon. :D

This is Pentium II hardware. I'd be surprised if it's anything BUT IDE drives.
Many Pentium II boards did not have any ability at all to boot off anything that wasn't part of the main board. Boot off a PCI card wasn't available, nor was USB boot. If it wasn't on the board, it wasn't interested.
In theory Win98 should work with SATA. drives as well, but that doesn't apply here, considering the OP's hardware predates SATA by about six years.

Edited by Neil Jones, 02 December 2010 - 06:27 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I agree and since this is a second drive as indicated:

When I purchased this computer it didn't a Hard Drive and have put in 2...
A Western Digital 80 GB (2002) Model # WD800AB-22CBA1 and a Western Digital 853.6 MB (1998) Model # WDAC2850-00F

I wonder if the 2 drives are on the same ribbon then the jumpers may not be right.
If the 2nd hd and the cdrom are on the same ribbon and set the same that may answer why neither drive os seen.