Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Office 2010 installation

• Please log in to reply

jrspie

jrspie

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
My wife works for the state and among some of the really good perks that they get is Office 2010 free to use at home for as long as she is employed there.
I'm going to upgrade our desktop pc asap so that I can install office.
I need help because I can't keep redoing an installation that she is goiong to use for work.
I guess the safest is to install part of it on C drive and the rest on a different hard drive that I can just plug in.
Is this the right way to do it?
How will I be able to make file connections. I had trouble in the past with file that I had backed uo.
Also, please can somebody explain how to make file connections after I have restored a different C Drive.
Thanks for any help,

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

I'm going to upgrade our desktop pc asap so that I can install office.

What needs upgrading? Office 2010 doesn't need much of a computer.

System requirements for Office 2010
http://technet.micro...y/ee624351.aspx

I need help because I can't keep redoing an installation that she is goiong to use for work.

You shouldn't have to "keep redoing". Install it (once), reboot and you should be good to go.

I guess the safest is to install part of it on C drive and the rest on a different hard drive that I can just plug in.
Is this the right way to do it?

No, install all of Office 2010 on drive C:. (It takes about 3GB).

The documents/files you create with Office 2010 can be stored anywhere.

How will I be able to make file connections. I had trouble in the past with file that I had backed uo.
Also, please can somebody explain how to make file connections after I have restored a different C Drive.

What do you mean by "file connections"?

jrspie

jrspie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
'What needs upgrading?'
Memory. CPU cooler. Possibly a case fan. PC is used as a family pc, not just for school or business.

'You shouldn't have to "keep redoing". Install it (once), reboot and you should be good to go.'
I don't. I use Shaowprotect Desktop and keep numerous images including one of the original state made just after installing W7 x64.

'No, install all of Office 2010 on drive C:. (It takes about 3GB).'
OK.

'What do you mean by "file connections"?'
If for some reason C drive becomes corrupt and I need to revert to a previous image, in the past I've done something wrong and gotten a pop up that there was no path to the data I had stored on another drive.
I really don't know what I did wrong nor do I know of a better way to explain it.

What do you reccomend for file/data backup software?
Thank you for your help.
J

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
"Memory" - Office 2010 only requires 256 MB of RAM.

"no path to the data" - Sounds like possibly ... Let's say you had done your last back up to a folder named "backup" in the root directory of a network or USB drive that, at the time, was drive "V:". When you go to restore the data, that drive may no longer be drive "V:", it may now be "X:". So you would need to point your restore software to the new correct path of "x:\backup".

"What do you reccomend for file/data backup software?" - (Personally, I use a standalone harddrive copier once a month. I also have copies of important files stored on various media and in more than one location). Here's a good list:

Wikipedia: List of backup software
http://en.wikipedia....backup_software

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

What do you reccomend for file/data backup software?

Something that you know how it works in and out. Something that you are familiar and comfortable with. A lot of my clients are simply using the built-in backup function that Windows offers. I myself do this as well. I understand how it works and I am able to make it work for me.

The most important thing is that you know how to restore data. Create a test file (i.e. simple text file is OK), then run a full backup. Once backup is complete, delete the file and then restore it from the backup.