Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

no windows installations to choose for recovery

• Please log in to reply

xxdoniellexx

xxdoniellexx

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
I have a used/refurbished hp pavilion a819n. It was my daughters computer and it was used solely for childrens websites and games that had been downloaded onto it from bigfishgames.com. It wasnt used for more than maybe 6 months. I know she had turned it off improperly a few times (by holding down power button instead of powering down) but besides that it was very well taken care of and lightly used. One day when attempting to turn it on I got the familiar black screen stating that windows did not open properly. It wouldnt allow me to go into any safe mode, it would just reboot to the same screen.

I had a burned recovery disk (the rc.iso) that I had got from you guys before so I put it in and pushed enter at first and got the message that "Setup cannot find the End User Licensing Agreement(EULA) Setup cannot continue. To quit press f3." So this time when the disk started up I pushed r. I got to the black and white screen where it asked me which windows installation I wanted to log onto but my options were only 1: H:\miniNT or 2: H:\I386....there was no drive with windows option....I know it may be possible that windows is actually on the H:\ instead of the C:\ since it is used/refurbished. When I had my other desk top fixed and had a new hard drive and some other extras added to it my main drive that windows is on is the H:\ now...but I'm not sure if that is the case with this computer as well, unfonrtuanetly it has been down for some time and I don't remember which drive was the main hard drive.

None the less, I tried pressing 1 first and then went through trying 2 and got the same results both ways. I performed a chkdsk /r and /p....it took a few minutes but I remebered it taking much much longer before. It did not go to any other screen though, it stayed on the black and white one and finished with the results of how many kilobytes total disk space and the unit allocations. I then tried bootcfg /scan and got the message "failed to successfully scan disks for windows installations, this error may be cause by a corrupt file system." I'm not sure if the chkdsk actually worked proerly or not.

I do not have the original windows xp disk. I do however have a windows media edition that I had put on a friends computer that worked very well and is still working well, but they had originally had media. Can I install the media onto my computer or what would be my best options?

I greatly appreciate your help and all that you do for everybody on this site! I anxiously wait your reply! thank you

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
The 1: H:\miniNT or 2: H:\I386 probably refers to the HP recovery partition on your HD.

Did you try F10 (or any other) to start the HP recovery utility.

Please note that recovery partitions have limited options and you might have only the option of renewing your installation to its original state (so losing all your previously saved data).

Your C: windows installation is probably corrupted to the point of not being recognized.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Try this and see if it gets you to the recovery manager.

Press the power button to start the HP. Press and hold the F11 key to launch the HP Recovery Manager from the recovery partition.