I am really desperate. I should work on my thesis. Why does my PC break down now?
PC does not start. Screen remains black. Fans run. No beeps (but not sure if my PC speaker is actually connected).
Longer, more detailed description:
I never shut down my PC. I always put it in Standby. Works perfectly.
3 days ago, when trying to awake it from standby:
- The fans start
- the LEDs (HDD, power) go on
- Screen remains black (monitor not turning on, actually. So no signal.)
- waiting (sometimes it needs longer to get out of standby)
- pressing reset: nothing happens.
- turning power off, turning power on
- Fans still starting
- IMPORTANT DETAIL HERE: When I start my PC and it was NOT in standby, the fans sound different. One of the Fans runs at full speed, being really loud. After a few seconds, it slows down, then it enters the bios, starts normally. If I awake my PC from standby, this does NOT happen. The fans run quietly from the beginning.
So in this case, after unnplugging and replugging, I expected the other start sequence with the fans being loud. Did not happen. Still slow.
- screen remains black
- I retry two or three times, I am desperate.
- I get my stuff, screwdriver and everything, prepared to open my PC and check for loose wires, whatever....
- I think: Lets give it one more try before I open it: I replug the power cable and start it
- et voila: It works!
- PC ran fine for three days. Was several times in standby, always awoke, always working.
- I play games, I work with the mashine, I watch DVDs and BluRays. I play hardware demanding games. But my system does not run hot. Lots of fans installed...
Today, this morning:
- Same problem, screen remains black. LEDs on. Fans run slowly. System does not wake up. Screen remeins black (monitor not turning on, actually)
- Unplugging, waiting, replugging, turning on.... nothing.
- I open the case. I unplug all HDDs
- replug power, same problem.
- I unplug the power, take out first one, than the other RAM (running dual channel)
-> no effect
- checked all plugs
Now what should be my next step?
What can be faulty? I think I excluded the RAM. And since the problem actually happened before but the problem sort of vanished and then the PC ran smoothly for 3 days straight under stress, I don't think there is something substantially damaged.
But what can it be?
Bios? Power Supply? Or is the CPU or Graphics adapter faulty?
I do not have a second PC nor do I have a friend with a PC near me. So I can't exchange components easily.
Can someone help me?
I'm desperate. I don't know what my next step should be. I think I will try to reset the bios. Could it be bios related?
CPU: Intel Core2Duo
Graphics Adapter: Nvidia geforce 260 something... <-All cables connected. Including the additional 2 power cables. Checked that.
RAM: 2*2GB KIT from Kingston? King-something?
Edited by Finsch, 03 December 2010 - 07:02 AM.