Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Oh dear, what have I done.

• Please log in to reply

Kimmie1

Kimmie1

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Ok this is a long one, I may also be in the wrong forum but here goes.

I recently installed "speed up my pc" onto my pc and netbook (pc was having issues now its fine). Since then my netbook has been having random problems and I can only relate it to this program.

First problem,

Scrolling seems to be an issue on web pages and on all my files the page doesn't scroll it just messes up and looks all distorted. It doesn't do this on all webpages. For example, facebook is fine, but a google search is really difficult to read except for the first few lines. I updated my graphics drivers for this thinking it would solve the problem... aparently not. Since doing this I've been getting the following messages on startup. "DO YOU WANT TO RUN THIS FILE...... IGFXTRAY.EXE and following this DO YOU WANT TO RUN hkcmd.exe and then thirdly PERSISTENCETHREAD.EXE all from intel corporation apprently.

Second. I had also recently installed skype. I went to use it for the first time yesterday and apparently I need directx. I went into my built in web cam to see if it was working and it worked for a couple of seconds then I got the big blue screen and crash. I did a couple of the directx tests and failed the 3D one.

Thirdly, I just went to use itunes. it said files were missing and I should reinstall. I reinstalled and keep getting the same message. (getting really annoyed with my netbook now!)

Can anyone help me please? What on earth have I done to my netbook, it was working fine before!!!!!

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Never use any utilities like 'Speed Up My PC" or any other Registry Cleaner utility. They are at best just a gimmick and at worst (well you know that one).
See if System Restore can "roll back" your system -- if available, choose a date before you installed Speed Up My PC.
Start >> Programs >> Accessories >> System Tools >> System Restore

Edited by phillipcorcoran, 04 December 2010 - 05:28 AM.

Kimmie1

Kimmie1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Yes I had thought of that, but unfortunatly the system restore won't let me go into the month of November which is when I installed the program. Any other thoughts? Or will it be a case of reinstalling windows?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Seeing the problems you have plus not being able to restore to a previous date, leaves only one option, in my opinion, restore the computer to factory settings, formatting the hard disk in the process. Use your user manual or look in the computer manufacturer's internet support to see how to restore to factory settings.