Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

UK user req,s help replacing old anti virus

• Please log in to reply

twedspeed

twedspeed

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi my computer runs Windows Vista - its NORTON internet security runs out next week - A friend gave me a brand new an unopened Mafee internet security 2011 - bt before I install it I have a few worries - queons

1/ Do I have to remove the NORTON before installing the Mcafee ?

2/ Do you have to disconnect from your modem while you install Mcafee

3/ Can I have MCAFEE & NORTON running side by side on my computer.

4/ When NORTON says its gonna run out - will that mean I have no Anti virus at all after the next week ?

5/ Any thing I should watch out for or be aware of before installing that MCAFEE ?

I am pretty uselesss with computers but getting better. any advise very much appreciated.

thank you .

Advertisements

Mythio

Mythio

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
Hi twedspeed,

1/ Do I have to remove the NORTON before installing the Mcafee ?

Yes it's smart to do, find the Norton removal tools here (use them, not the normal uninstall or anything)

2/ Do you have to disconnect from your modem while you install Mcafee

No, this is not necessary unless the setup tells you to

3/ Can I have MCAFEE & NORTON running side by side on my computer.

No, running several anti virus at the same time is NOT a good idea

4/ When NORTON says its gonna run out - will that mean I have no Anti virus at all after the next week ?

No it doesn't, it means it won't update anymore and will not give you protection against the newest thread, but it will still give protection against old threats.

5/ Any thing I should watch out for or be aware of before installing that MCAFEE ?

Not really, it should be straight forward, just make sure to set up scanning etc like u want (times, disks to scan, etc).
Also, make sure to run at least one total scan right after installing McAfee and updating it. It is good practice :-)

Hope that helps and let us know how the install turned out,

Mythio