Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless Connection Dropping On Desktop Only

• Please log in to reply

TiggerG3

TiggerG3

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have a Motorola SBG900 cable/wireless modem in one. It was originally setup to be used wirelessly only until my desktop began dropping the connection on a consistent basis. I plugged the ethernet cable up and the connection works fine that route, however the wireless will still drop. It doesn't appear to be a consistent time either. I can reconnect it immediately and it will stay up for sometimes as long as I am on the internet but when I step away it disconnects, other times though it will disconnect while I am using the computer. I am able to keep a connection with the ethernet cable, however I don't understand the wireless problem. I have attempted changing the channel because I live in a subdivision that is full of other networks, and using a program called netstumbler determined that channels 1,2,4,6,and 11 were being used by networks in the neighborhood. I set mine to 8 and to no avail the problem still existed. What makes this even more strange is that my laptop will connect to the wireless network and stay connected fine, as well as my mobile devices. It is just the desktop that is having the dropping issue. I thought this pointed to the wireless adapter on the desktop, but after connecting to two other available networks that weren't mine with no drops I realized this wasn't the problem either. My computer is a Gateway running Windows XP. My wireless adapter is made by Allied Telesyn model AT-WCP200G. My service provider is Comcast. I am hoping to get some answers, if not though, point me in the direction to get some help. Thanks.

Additional Details
I have made the following adjustments as well and no success.

•Lower the MTU (Maximum Transmission Unit) from 1500 to 1492 or less (usually found on your router's main/ basic setup page)
•Adjust the following advanced wireless settings:
◦Lower the beacon interval from 100 to 50
◦Lower the fragmentation threshold from 2346 to 2306
◦Lower the RTS threshold from 2347 to 2304

I don't believe it is a network overload. The mobile devices are an iphone and blackberry, and the laptop isn't always connected. I could try turning the phones off, but I don't think that will affect anything.

I connected to the other networks in other homes with the desktop in the same location without drops. I have moved the router to within 2 feet from the adapter and still experience the drops. I should also mention this is something that just randomly started happening. It has worked fine without this problem before. Again it will connect and have a strong signal when it does, but will drop randomly. After dropping though I can immediately reconnect.

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Have you installed SP3 (Service Pack 3 for Windows XP)? I believe this included a 'fix' for wireless connection issues, but the fix isn't available on it's own.

TiggerG3

TiggerG3

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I actually do have service pack 3 installed. I have even tried all eleven channels to see if there was an issue there. I understand there may be an issue with the windows wireless network program. I am investigating solutions related to that program.

D-Berd

D-Berd

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
Do you use windows wireless net work manager to connect to the network or do you use a third party network manager, like the one that came with the network card.