Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Iphone 3G advice/help

• Please log in to reply

LilDude772

LilDude772

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
Yet again, as the title suggests,

Does anyone know the cheapest, yet good/high quality way of fixing/repairing a cracked screen on an Iphone 3G?

Advertisements

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
Unfortunately replacing the iPhone screen is not an easy task. It's not something I would recommend someone trying to do themselves. My wife dropped hers in a puddle and it stopped working. I opened it up and attempted to dry things out, got it working, but I broke the microphone in the process. Everything in there is very tight and the ribbon cable connectors snap very easily. I ended up breaking one when trying to get it unlatched.

I've also read horror stories about screen replacements and the home button. Apparently the home button is attached to the screen with some type of glue that is not easily removed. Unless things have changed, replacement screens don't come with the home button and it needs to be transferred from the old screen. You also have to realize that the glass is glued to the actual screen and apparently they are a nightmare to separate.

You might want to consider one of the places that will do the repair for you. Also, with a 3G, I'm assuming that you are probably eligible for an upgrade, so that might be an option.

LilDude772

LilDude772

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Unfortunately replacing the iPhone screen is not an easy task. It's not something I would recommend someone trying to do themselves. My wife dropped hers in a puddle and it stopped working. I opened it up and attempted to dry things out, got it working, but I broke the microphone in the process. Everything in there is very tight and the ribbon cable connectors snap very easily. I ended up breaking one when trying to get it unlatched.

I've also read horror stories about screen replacements and the home button. Apparently the home button is attached to the screen with some type of glue that is not easily removed. Unless things have changed, replacement screens don't come with the home button and it needs to be transferred from the old screen. You also have to realize that the glass is glued to the actual screen and apparently they are a nightmare to separate.

You might want to consider one of the places that will do the repair for you. Also, with a 3G, I'm assuming that you are probably eligible for an upgrade, so that might be an option.

Hmm..I've heard somewhat about a place in SLC (I live in Utah, SLC=Salt Lake) at the mall there that fixes screens..maybe I'll give that a go sometime..

Do you by chance know how much it would cost to have people, like Apple or the afore-mentioned place, fix the screen?

And @ the last part, you mentioned I was eligible for an upgrade..Could you perhaps explain a little more detail? :D

Thanks for the help, too! ;)

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
From what I've read, Apple doesn't do screen replacements, so you would have to go 3rd party. As for price, that would depend on if just the glass is cracked or the digitizer is damaged as well.

I'm not sure if you are eligible for an upgrade, but you should be since you still have the 3G version. AT&T bumped up the eligibility date for most customers when the iPhone 4 was released. But it depends on your contract renewal date. If your phone is still working, you can dial *639# from the phone. A minute or so later, you will get a text message informing you of your eligibility for an upgrade. If your phone is too damaged or doesn't work, you'll have to call AT&T to check.

If you are eligible for an upgrade, you can get the 16GB iPhone 4 for $199 or the 32GB for $299. You will have to extend your contract for another 2 years to get the lower price though.

If you aren't eligible for an upgrade, you might want to schedule an appointment with your local Apple store. They were allowing customers with broken phones a one time replacement for $200. They basically charge you $200 and swap your phone out with a refurbished one. We ended up doing that with my wife's phone when she got it wet. They swapped out hers for $200.

Let me know how you make out and good luck.

Edited by Spyderturbo007, 07 December 2010 - 10:56 AM.

LilDude772

LilDude772

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Hm. Thanks a bunch, turbo. Also re iPhone still works so I don't think the digitizer is harmed. Only thing that appears to be the trouble is just the screen.

Also thanks for the #, I'll try it out sometime today and hope I'm eligible. :D

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
No problem at all. :D Let me know how you make out.