Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

lottts of broken registry keys and programs missing parts of files

• Please log in to reply

mclovin1

mclovin1

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
OS info: Microsoft Windows XP
Media Center Ed
Version 2002
Service pack 1

hello, I had a win/32 virus that i got rid of(all of the major virus files). i say this because i found alot of extra win/32 downloader files with eset today so there might be more lurking around so you can never be too safe. I have lots of little problems that "i assume" are because of incorrect registry keys! One of my most anoying problems is my program settings and display settings reset on startup?!? also, alot of windows updates wont install including service packs and ie 8. Security Center is also disabled and every time i try to start it an error pops up: (error 1083: the executable program that this service is configured to run in does not implement the service). The programs i used to get rid of the virus were: OTL, Combo fix, and malwarebytes(with a geekstogo analyzer). earlier this week i noticed the settings resetting problem and windows media having to be setup everytime i reboot so i ran the "microsoft malacious software removal tool" and that found some infected files(around 50 or 60)that it deleted. I then installed my system mechanic antivirus and it found alot of infected files as well. Most of these files were Win/32 downloader files. There might be more still on the computer. Finally i used the eset scanner today as i mentioned and havent done any removal since then. I went ahead and downloaded OTS to my desktop today. im not sure if its better or worse than OTL or the version is current. Im not 100% sure on how to fix these files so i have an OTS log attached i would like someone to look at to be safe, I ran some custom scans so i apollogize for the length of the log.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I suggest you go back to your Malware topic located HERE. PM Sweettech and ask him to reopen the topic and continue on with the removal. You have not been declared clean by him and most likely you still have a hidden active infection. This needs to be addressed before we do anything here in the Tech forums. :D