Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD/DVD drive not recognised by computer

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Nope all you have to make sure is it is a laptop drive and it has the same Interface as yours.
That means is it a IDE or SATA interface. They are not interchangeable so it is important to make sure it is the right one.
Is this the drive HERE?
If so it is a IDE interface. :D

Advertisements

thearabianmage

thearabianmage

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Nope all you have to make sure is it is a laptop drive and it has the same Interface as yours.
That means is it a IDE or SATA interface. They are not interchangeable so it is important to make sure it is the right one.
Is this the drive HERE?
If so it is a IDE interface. :D

So could this be an ideal opportunity to upgrade to a better drive, so long as its dimensions are the same and it's IDE? Is there anything else I'll need to look for? Cheers

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

So could this be an ideal opportunity to upgrade to a better drive, so long as its dimensions are the same and it's IDE?

I would say so as the newer drive are slightly faster. ;)

Is there anything else I'll need to look for?

As long as the parameters are followed I gave you about the interface and actual drive size 2.5 inches and a laptop dvd\cdrom drive, then you should have no problem. :D

thearabianmage

thearabianmage

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

So could this be an ideal opportunity to upgrade to a better drive, so long as its dimensions are the same and it's IDE?

I would say so as the newer drive are slightly faster. ;)

By 'slightly', do you mean the difference between a Volvo and a Lamborghini? ;)

Is there anything else I'll need to look for?

As long as the parameters are followed I gave you about the interface and actual drive size 2.5 inches and a laptop dvd\cdrom drive, then you should have no problem. :D

I'm sorry to be a pain, but as I've never gone internal-cd-drive-shopping before, I've got one last question concerning compatibility: does it matter what OS the drive used to be configured to? As in, if I find a drive, it's 2.5 inches/ide/laptop but came from a computer with XP on it - would that pose a problem as my computer is Vista?

And also, this is slightly unrelated, but thought I'd throw it out anyway - I've got an iMac G5 sittin round, and it needs a new cd drive as well - I was thinking to hit two birds with one stone and get a decent external cd drive - but no listing seems to mention compatibility with Macs. . . I thought it was all the same - but are there compatibility issues with external cd drives and Macs?

Thank you very much for your help - you've been uber awesome ;)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Nope old drives would burn at 4x speed and new drives burn at 8x or 12x

As in, if I find a drive, it's 2.5 inches/ide/laptop but came from a computer with XP on it - would that pose a problem as my computer is Vista?

Nope because the OS has default drivers for optical drives so it's not setup per say to be specific with one OS.

I thought it was all the same - but are there compatibility issues with external cd drives and Macs?

Should not be as I said just above.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
If I may chip in with a couple of suggestions for a new optical drive;
http://www.novatech..../30387.html#sp4
http://www.citycompu...products_id=646

thearabianmage

thearabianmage

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Thank you very much! :D

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
You are more than welcome :D

thearabianmage

thearabianmage

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
WHAT!?!

I don't know what happened, nor what I did. I have hardly even used my computer in the past few days, and when I have, it's mostly done searching for a new CD drive. . . I nearly bought one yesterday. . .

So today, I turn my laptop on - 'wake it up' from hibernation - and, while the desktop was loading. . . Guess what decides to install itself? Yeah, the little bugger.

I would like to thank those who kindly offered me their time and advice - it was very much appreciated.

However I'm now more confused than I was before. . . Why did it conk out? Why did nothing work? Why does it work now?

Did it just go on 'holiday', or is this one of those Twilight Zone moments?

-------------EDIT----------------

Okay, it must be the Twilight Zone scenario. When desktop loaded and the drive installed, I immediately checked it in 'My Computer'. I opened up the drive (I just left Hiren's in there) and opened up some folders on HBD to have a look round. Everything seemed fine, and it recognized and read it all. Thus the post.

Then I put in the tablet installation CD, and POOF!

Gone again. . .

So the drive 'works' - can read CD's - so software and drivers 'work'; has installed itself - so physical connection's OK. . .

What's wrong?

Edited by thearabianmage, 20 December 2010 - 05:40 PM.