Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

AVAST on VISTA issues.

• Please log in to reply

Tee*Cee

Tee*Cee

• PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
Hi all, I installed AVAST on my XP, working like a CHARM.. Now, I took and burned that software to a CD and took it to my neighbors VISTA.. It installed just fine. BUT, it won't update, or allow her to Register it either. The error is:

"Cannot connect to server"

I was at that computer ALL day, and still haven't got it done. Yes, I did call the AVAST support, and after the 3rd call, they told me we will have to pay for ANY more support. Not good.

The only settings I had changed, was I ticked the "I connect to the Internet using a dial up modem" because she is on a DUN..

Now, I have her downloading it from cnet, and last I checked, she still had 5 hours to go. :D (Yeah, gotta LOVE the DUN at this point!) ;) Going to TRY to dl it and install directly, and bypass the CD.

Any tips or tricks? I am at the point now, that if it doesn't update after installation tomorrow, what else can I go with? She HAD AVG.. Yes, that is totally gone. The computer is clean, and no viruses or malware. Just a 70 yr old that likes to e-mail her kids... Nothing too hard, but I don't like to leave her with nothing. Any suggestions??

Yeah, I'll be back there tomorrow, trying to install the AVAST and see if we can get it to update. '

Here are the settings I did change:

Update Parameters:
I connect to the Internet using a dial up modem

Proxy Settings
Auto detect: Use IE settings

Any ideas on this? She has Windows Vista, Home Premium.

TIA!

Edited by Tee*Cee, 07 December 2010 - 07:09 PM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Try to Please download Avast from my signature below or the link at the end of these instructions.
Both are the same link straight to Avast's website. I am running Avast on my Win7 partition with no problem so it must be the file itself that is the problem. Downloading straight form the manufacturer should alleviate that issue.
Please make sure you do the registration as it is good for a year or more. When it is due simply just re-register it.
Avast in my opinion is better because:

It's FREE to the Home User
It Updates it's Definitions daily
You can scan Individual Files, Folders and Drives
No buying new versions every year

http://www.avast.com...avast-home.html

Tee*Cee

Tee*Cee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
Hi rshaffer61 , thanks for the quick response. I did dl it from your sig. and burned it to a CD to install on her Vista. The problem came in, it would not let her register it or update. Kept getting the "cannot connect to server" error ALL DAY LONG..

That is when I removed it yet again ( 4 times today) and had her dl it from cnet. I couldn't get it to update, or allow her to reg. I talked to my ISP in the meantime, and he said a direct install might work better. She is on the same DUN as me. Mine is working fine, but I have XP.. I'll be back there tomorrow, and if I SURVIVE that, I'll let ya know how much hair I have left! :D

The 800# was of NO help. They kept telling me to remove it, reboot, re-install, reboot, I mean,4 times all day. At the end of the day, we got nothing done.

I'll report back tomorrow, thanks!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Don't dl from cnet. Have her download it straight from Avast. If I rememeber right didn't you have the same issue when I assisted you?
Once you downloaded straight from avast it worked fine. I think the issue is something is not copying over when you burn it to a cd. ;) :D

Tee*Cee

Tee*Cee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
Oh, geeze. She has been dl it all evening, and it should be done around 10PM. She isn't using a dl manager, downloading straight from cnet. Yeah, I had issues, but it was just a matter of tweeking the settings for a DUN, because it comes pre-set for hi speed. IF that cnet doesn't work, I'll have her come here. But I'll tell ya, I used your link to dl the AVAST I burned to a CD. Maybe it was the CD. I was told by our ISP that Vista doesn't like AVAST installed with a CD.. For one thing, she got an error that said: "APPCRASH" AVASTsetup.exe. so, the ISP told us to dl straight from cnet, and not from any CD.. Frustration was setting in by thn ;) :D

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If she is almost done then let it finish and try to install.
No reason to start this all over. If it doesn't work then try my suggestion.

Tee*Cee

Tee*Cee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

If she is almost done then let it finish and try to install.
No reason to start this all over. If it doesn't work then try my suggestion.

Hi rshaffer61, that is exactly what I am going to do. I'll send a link from here to her, so we can come here if she runs into any snags. Thanks!! :D

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Good thinking and I will monitor this topic for you. :D

Tee*Cee

Tee*Cee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Good thinking and I will monitor this topic for you. ;)

Thank you, rshaffer61, ;) We will keep you posted. I'll tell ya, we sure didn't get any help or answers from the AVAST support. I even report one of them for rudeness ;) :D

Tee*Cee

Tee*Cee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
Good Morning, rshaffer61, well, that didn't work. She got 39MB downloaded, and then lost her connection. ;) So, I will have to find the direct download link so she can use her dl manager. Sometimes, this DUN is no fun when it comes to this stuff. She does have a dl manager, the same as mine, However, we were using Google Chrome and it wouldn't let the dl manager pick it up. I'll see what I can do this am. I will see if I can get her dl manager to pick it up. I'll keep ya posted, and no , we won't be using chrome today! ;) :D

Tee*Cee

Tee*Cee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
:D THANK YOU rshaffer61! ;) Your direct link worked, and she is not only installed, but now Registered, and updated, in less than 10 minutes! ;) I am so glad I thought to stop and ask, as Vista is quite a bit different than XP! THANK YOU for all your help! She is up and running now!!! ;)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Congratulations for the successful resolution. I'm glad I was able to assist you with the issue. Let us know if you need any further assistance and thank you for choosing GTG for help.
;) ;) ;) :D