Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

KDE Download Vs Kubuntu?

• Please log in to reply

Incoming

Incoming

• PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
Currently I'm running KDE4 on Ubuntu 10.10.

Recently I've been thinking about downgrading to Ubuntu 10.04 because people have told me it is better (I haven't used Ubuntu since 9.04, took a long Windows break).

I've also heard that if you use KDE3 it is a lot better than KDE4.

My two questions are:

1.) Is it better to install Kubuntu than to install Ubuntu and then KDE?
2.) Which distro release can I get that comes preinstalled with KDE3?

Advertisements

calvert

calvert

• PipPip
  • 58 posts
wouldn't know about k/ubuntu as i use mandriva,

i use kde4, never had a problem with it,

kde3 uses konqueror as the file manager, whereas kde4 uses dolphin by default - although you can use konqueror,

when kde4 first came out the only problem i had was i didn't like dolphin, but i'm used to it now

mandriva 2008.1 was the last of the mandriva line to use kde3, you can get it here

http://distrib-coffe...ial/iso/2008.1/

use this version from the list

mandriva-linux-one-2008-spring-KDE-int-cdrom-i586.iso

its a live cd

devper94

devper94

• PipPipPip
  • 817 posts

1.) Is it better to install Kubuntu than to install Ubuntu and then KDE?

They are all the same. Just install kubuntu-desktop. You can select between desktop environments easily at the login screen. You can even remove Gnome, and essentially transform your Ubuntu into Kubuntu,

2.) Which distro release can I get that comes preinstalled with KDE3?

KDE4 is newer, and comes with more features and bug fixes. Downgrading to Ubuntu 10.04 is fine, but why would you do that ? Even with a longer support, it's still not worth downgrading.

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
Hi Incoming,

A few people I know have given favorable reports using Ubuntu 10.04 with the fork of KDE 3.5.10 from Pearson Computing called Trinity Desktop Environment. They say it's faster and more pleasing (subjective)then the last release of KDE 3.5.10.

Incoming

Incoming

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
Every time I remove a DE it ends up crashing my whole computer.. No idea why

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
You don't have to remove Gnome, you can install KDE and choose DE at log in. The last install I did of ubuntu I used the server edition with no GUI and added the GUI I wanted.

It's been a while but the Alternateinstaller used to let you install without a GUI but you would have to be willing to work with Command Line.

Incoming

Incoming

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
Well right now I have Xfce, Gnome, KDE, OpenBox, and Fluxbox.. then some failsafe and stuff..

tazz123

tazz123

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
i m using ubuntu 10.04 and i think its better than its newer version.. it installs quickly, easy interface. while new version takes time and it starts downloading files during installation which makes too late..

devper94

devper94

• PipPipPip
  • 817 posts

it installs quickly

10.04 and 10.10 take the same amount of time to install on my computer.

easy interface

Both have the exact same interface.

it starts downloading files during installation

I believe that you can instruct it not to download additional packages. Or you can just unplug the Internet cable/disable wireless before starting installation.