Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't boot my Windows Vista Computer

• Please log in to reply

dantecantal

dantecantal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
it is an internal drive. i'm not really sure what to do.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK forget that for right now. Lets do some diagnostics on the hard drive and the memory.
If you have more than one RAM module installed, try starting computer with one RAM stick at a time.

NOTE Keep in mind, the manual check listed above is always superior to the software check, listed below. DO NOT proceed with memtest, if you can go with option A

B. If you have only one RAM stick installed...
...run memtest...

1. Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)
2. Unzip downloaded memtest86+-2.11.iso.zip file.
3. Inside, you'll find memtest86+-2.11.iso file.
4. Download, and install ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/
5. Insert blank CD into your CD drive.
6. Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc
7. Click on Browse for a file... icon:

Posted Image

8. Locate memtest86+-2.11.iso file, and click Open button.
9. Click on ImgBurn green arrow to start burning bootable memtest86 CD:

Posted Image

10. Once the CD is created, boot from it, and memtest will automatically start to run. You may have to change the boot sequence in your BIOS to make it work right.

To change Boot Sequence in your BIOS

Reboot the system and at the first post screen (where it is counting up memory) start tapping the DEL button
This will enter you into the Bios\Cmos area.
Find the Advanced area and click Enter
Look for Boot Sequence or Boot Options and highlight that click Enter
Now highlight the first drive and follow the directions on the bottom of the screen on how to modify it and change it to CDrom.
Change the second drive to the C or Main Drive
Once that is done then click F10 to Save and Exit
You will prompted to enter Y to verify Save and Exit. Click Y and the system will now reboot with the new settings.

The running program will look something like this depending on the size and number of ram modules installed:

Posted Image

It's recommended to run 5-6 passes. Each pass contains very same 8 tests.

This will show the progress of the test. It can take a while. Be patient, or leave it running overnight.

Posted Image

The following image is the test results area:

Posted Image

The most important item here is the “errors” line. If you see ANY errors, even one, most likely, you have bad RAM.

dantecantal

dantecantal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
does option A require me to open up my computer?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yep just go with option B and if it returns errors then we will see about opening system.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
0x7F: UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP
Usually, but NOT exclusively either mismatched hardware - but if you have not just installed new hardware then normally hardware failure.
The first parameter 0D - is one of the more unusual ones, I think on this error as it basically means an exception not covered by any of the other listed exceptions but indicates an access violation - ie: on that occasion you were trying to access system restore.

0x80070570 That part of the message simply indicates, I believe that as shown the file system - was corrupt. However it does not necessarily mean that the system restore files are corrupt - I rather think in your case it means that a hardware fault has been interpreted as this.

As you have already tried a startup repair using the Vista disc and that failed and looking at the malware forum post, I see you were using Torrent Downloads - a prime way of acquiring an infection. HOWEVER I would think this is NOT what semed to be a Malware problem, but a hardware problem which was beginning to raise itself earlier -

As I notice that on 17 Nov -memory dump and on 27 Nov Last Known Good - so you clearly had problems before you posted in December.

I gather from your OTL log that you are not just a press this key user, - HAVE YOU OVERCLOCKED and altered ram voltages etc.

rshaffer61 - hope you do not mind the interjection.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 18 December 2010 - 08:43 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

rshaffer61 - hope you do not mind the interjection.

:D
Always welcome another set of eyes as I can miss things also. ;)

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
rshaffer61 - cheers. I see Limewire was installed - although I do not think this is just a case of file corruption - and with apologies to
dantecantel - if you play with fire you must expect to get burnt.
I feel sure I am going to learn from this - one of the reasons for coming in - WHY are there so many System32 driver entries disabled in the OTL log. I can understand why some are, but others seem to me - as though they should be on automatic.

dantecantal

dantecantal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
Thanks to those who have inputted their thoughts. This problem was most likely not caused by limewire or torrent downloads. the port 2 "error occured" problem that shows up at startup has been showing for quite some time. it was a RAID 0 error or something and i would go into Intel Matrix Storage Console and mark drive as normal. I was hoping the problem would just go away but i suspect this is one of the main reasons my computer stopped working. Correct me if I'm wrong :D I really don't know much about computers.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I will leave you in the hands of rshaffer61.
He is far more experienced than I am. as you can see from his status.
I know VERY little about RAID except to say that RAID 0 - using two hard drives, is of course effectively treating the two drives as one and there is therefore ZERO FAULT TOLERANCE. - a fault on one drive will mean failure of the whole, as it will if the array is broken

RAID 1 on the other hand still using two drives, simply creates a mirror of everything on each drive, so that failure on one is not in anyway damaging to the other. In simple terms it is a backup.
I cannot help any further.
However you are as I said in good hands.
Good luck.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Have you done the memtest86 diagnostics program yet?

Advertisements

dantecantal

dantecantal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
i don't know if i have more than 1 ram stick. and if i do, i don't know how to start my computer with just 1.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Download the program.
Burn it as instructed.
Run the program for at least 6 full passes and make sure to do the advanced or long test.
Report back with results.

dantecantal

dantecantal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
sorry i have been away on vacation. i will try the program now.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
No problem we are in no hurry. I hope you enjoyed your vacation :D. ;)

dantecantal

dantecantal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
thank you. i let the program run overnight and it went through 16 passes. 0 errors.