Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Tweak, Tune, Update or Just Replace ?

• Please log in to reply

cyleba

cyleba

• Pip
  • 2 posts
When I bought it, it was close to top of the line, but now:

IBM G40 284ATU, XP Pro ver. 2002 serv.Pak 3, Pent.4 2.6 GHz 760MB RAM with Fujitsu MHT2040AT 30GB partitioned
C: NTFS 20.6GB total 7.65GB free E: FAT32 6.86GB ttal 898 MB free (RESTORE??)

Primary use now is surfing the net. BUT most sites load (with errors) and any video is start and stop choppy.

Is there a simple fix (I use AVG, CCleaner, and defrag regularly) or is it time to bite the bullet?

If so, any suggestions.....

Thanks from an old retired gizza that has seen the technology pass him by.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hi cyleba :D
Would I be correct in thinking that your computer is an IBM Thinkpad from around 2003?
If I am any upgrades you could make will be minimal with increasing the Ram to 1GB (2 X 512MB sticks) and a larger storage capacity HDD your only real options.
As the graphics chip is on the MB it also uses your system Ram hence the choppiness problem with any video you watch, increasing the amount of system Ram to 1GB would help this but the improvement would not be breathtaking.
Should you decide to try the additional Ram please be aware that it is better to replace the existing Ram with a matching pair of 512MB sticks, below is the Ram information required for upgrading;
•64-bit Double Data Rate (DDR) non-parity SDRAM memory
•PC2100 at 266MHz
•Two 200 pin SO-DIMM memory slots, one slot is pre-populated with 128MB or 256MB, leaving one socket available
•Supports up to two 512MB SDRAM SO DIMM
•Supports maximum memory up to 1GB
I hope the above information helps you to decide what you consider your best option.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
If i can give my opinion you could also check what programs loads at startup and only keep the necessary programs. Also AVG takes lots of resources & memory (specially the new version) so if you can change it to an Anti Virus program as good as AVG (ex: AVAST) but not as hungry on resources & memory it may help.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
I concur with Alzeimer regarding AVG.

cyleba

cyleba

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the replys.....Yes 2003 is correct...a fossil, I know...but it does kinda work.
The AVG/StartUp suggestion is a cheap can do. One question about the RAM, Why in pairs? Why not just replace the 256 wth a 512?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

One question about the RAM, Why in pairs?

It is possible that the new Ram may not be compatible or that it may conflict with the old Ram.

Why not just replace the 256 wth a 512?

You could try this option and see how it goes, just make sure that you can obtain another stick of the new Ram in case it goes wrong.