Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU Problems, I Think?

• Please log in to reply

NitroMethod

NitroMethod

• Pip
  • 1 posts
To be honest, I'm not really sure if this thread should go here, so if I'm wrong, please redirect me to the right place.

That out of the way, I'll start with this. My name is Rachel. I'm a little computer-savvy and have helped my father with computers since I was young. He's a software-installer. I just love putting computers together. I lost my last computer to a faulty breaker and a wipeout. I'd waited for months until I used $800 of my graduation money to buy new computer parts. By the time everything had gotten to me, I had to begin college soon. When I began to format my PC and put Windows on it, I IMMEDIATELY noticed that it was considerably slow. My hardware is below. It should not be acting as such. It's been terrible ever since. It freezes randomly (every few seconds) and has problems with simple tasks. I can't use Zune software and some programs say that my CPU is too weak for the process. I can play most games just fine. The only one I've had trouble with is Starcraft 2 where my computer would suddenly blue screen. I was going to send the parts back - especially the CPU - but I'm a college student. I need my computer for work. I'm also a college-student paying from the pocket. I can't send a part out just to be told there's nothing wrong with it. I want to take it in to someone, but as I said. I'm a college student paying from the pocket AND it's almost Christmas. If there's any way that any one knows of how I can tell exactly which part is screwed up. I'm almost sure it's the CPU, but does any one know a way to tell?

CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 3.4GHz, 8.0MB
Mobo: Biostar TA890FXE (SATA3, DDR3)
Graphics: GeForce GTS 250, 1GB (DDR3)
Memory: Corsair XMS3, 4GB

Advertisements

D-Berd

D-Berd

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
What is the name and model # of the power supply?

Use this program and to check the temps and voltage on your system http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php

After installing speed fan, run the program and take a screenshot of the window and post it here. (Screenshot how to in xp) http://www.microsoft...screenshot.mspx

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hi NitroMethod :D
In addition to the PSU information asked for by D-Berd can you provide more information about your Ram as there are different types of Corsair XMS3 Ram, different voltages etc and one variation is only recommended for Intel i5 and i7 systems http://www.newegg.co...5-263-_-Product also in case you are not aware your graphics cards minimum recommended power supply is 450W and most brands require a minimum of 24A on the 12V rail.

Edited by phillpower2, 11 December 2010 - 08:47 AM.