Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PXE-E61 : Media test failure, check cable

• Please log in to reply

kba

kba

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My laptop won't boot.

It was in sleep mode and when I opened it up for a second I saw a blue screen and it then restarted, came back with the message error below:

Broadcom UNDI PXE-2.1 v11.4.1
Copyright © 2000-2008 Broadcom Corporation
Copyright © 1997-2000 Intel Corporation
Al Rights Reserved.

Broadcom Base Code PXE-2.1 v1.1.0
Copyright © 2000-2008 Broadcom Corporation
Copyright © 1997-2000 Intel Corporation
PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable
PXE-M0F: Exiting Broadcom PXE ROM.
Operating System not found

I restored defaults settings in BIOS,
The Boot sequence is:
1. Hard Drive
2.CD/DVD
3.Network Boot: MBA v11.4.1 Slot 0300

BIOS is finding the hard drive.

What else can cause the above error?

The Laptop: Acer aspire 5536

Thanks for help.
Kba

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Looks like the hard drive may have failed and the PC is trying to boot from the network card as it's the last device in the boot sequence and there's no bootable disc in the cd-rom drive.

You will need to test the hard drive with proprietary diagnostic software using a bootable CD. Links are here: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287

If possible, use the diagnostic software made by the hard drive manufacturer, you can easily determine the brand of your hard drive by removing it via the removable plastic cover-plate on the underside. If you'd rather not attempt that, you can just use the "Seagate SeaTools for DOS" diagnostic software which can generically test any brand. Download the ISO file for Seagate Seatools for DOS from here: http://www.seagate.c...ols/seatooldreg

Use 'Nero' or similar software which can create a CD from an ISO file. The resulting CD will be bootable. Boot your laptop from it to run the diagnostic tests. If the Seagate software has a "short" & "long" test, use the long test for greater accuracy. Any "Failed" results means the disk will have to be replaced with a new one.

Edited by phillipcorcoran, 12 December 2010 - 08:30 AM.