Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer is burning

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You don't connect the same wires to the two drives.
The psu should have more power connectors that are not being used that you can use.
The SATA cable I don't know if you have a extra one or not. They will look like the one below.

Advertisements

hospitaldoctor

hospitaldoctor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts
i see two sata connectors... one main sata connector wire that branches off to two.... and one of the connectors is not being used
however, there is only 1 power cable connector.... a blue one that is being used by the hd
there is also an orange one, but it is being used by something else... the CD drive i think
maybe i can use the power connector from the old tower?

Edited by hospitaldoctor, 29 December 2010 - 10:10 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Power connectors are usually connected to the PSU unless the PSU is a modular type. Then you would only have the ones that are being used connected.
Can you tell me what PSU
I can't seem to find any spec sheets on it to see the type and quantity of connections it has,

hospitaldoctor

hospitaldoctor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts
i dont understand, what would you like me to tell you exactly?
thanks

hospitaldoctor

hospitaldoctor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts
The PSU on the new computer is a chicony power supply unit... model CPB09-001B

hospitaldoctor

hospitaldoctor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts
oh sorry! i got them confused... i mispoke
i see two POWER connectors... one main power connector wire that branches off to two.... and one of the connectors is not being used
however, there is only 1 sata cable connector.... a blue one that is being used by the hd that connects to the motherboard
there is also an orange one, but it is being used by something else... the CD drive i think... that is also connected to the mobo
maybe i can use the sata connector from the old tower?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Yes you can use the SATA cable from the old PC just fine. They all work the same way.

That way you will have:

1x Orange SATA cable, connected to CD-Drive
1x Blue SATA cable, connected to new internal HDD
1x SATA cable from old PC, connected to old internal HDD just added in.

Everything will need a power cable. By the sounds of it there is a spare SATA power cable ready to rock'n'roll.

Then when everything is connected/installed/secured, put everything back together. Plug the cables in. Plug the power cable back in (last). Then fire it up.

One word of warning, if the computer boots up off your old internal HDD then you will need to restart, enter the BIOS (I think Dell use the F2 key?), and change the BOOT ORDER PRIORITY so that the new 750GB is listed before the old 640GB HDD. Then it should boot up off the new one, with your old HDD showing up under "Computer" for you to go exploring and copying data over. :D

Troy

hospitaldoctor

hospitaldoctor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts
So I unplug the SATA cable from the old PC (that is connected to the mobo) and plug it into the mobo of the new PC and the old hd
thanks

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

So I unplug the SATA cable from the old PC (that is connected to the mobo) and plug it into the mobo of the new PC and the old hd
thanks

:D

hospitaldoctor

hospitaldoctor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts
ok, i hope this works and i dont screw up haha
so what are the steps after i plug everything in....

Advertisements

hospitaldoctor

hospitaldoctor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts
sorry, how can i run a virus scan on the old hd before transferring everything over.... i have symantec
i tried right clicking the folder to see if there is an option, but i dont see it

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Look at Troy's post 157 it has the steps after you plug it all up.
After that then you will need to follow the steps that I outlined earlier on how to copy the data you need over.
Again I cannot stress the fact that you cannot move the programs over but only the data saved within the programs like office or cd covers or anything like that. Programs have to be reinstalled to work.

hospitaldoctor

hospitaldoctor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts
how can i run a virus scan on the old hd before transferring everything over.... i have symantec

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Start the Av program and have it scan the old hd.

hospitaldoctor

hospitaldoctor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts
how do i do that exactly? i dont see an option for that