Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Realtek HD Audio not working

• Please log in to reply

dt98rmb

dt98rmb

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
What I've got -

ASUS eee pc 1000he
Win XP SP3 32-bit

3D Chip has a system profile attached.
DX Diag info also attached.

Realtek HD Audio driver, v2.52 working fine, updated it to v 2.55 and now no longer getting sound.

I removed the audio devices from device manager and uninstalled the drivers, did a restart, re-installed drivers, nothing, repeated the process down grading the drivers, trying 2.54, 2.53 and back to 2.52 and still no audio.

The Realtek Audio Manager doesn't appear to have any errors, but if I try a 3D sound demo, it crashes the manager. Also there are no exclamation marks in the device manager. I re-installed DirectX just in case and that also shows a text fail in audio tab.

DirectSound test results: Failure at step 3 (DirectSoundCreate): HRESULT = 0x80070057 (Invalid argument(s))

That is the error the DX test says.

I have googled this till the cows come home and haven't found anything that might fix this and I'm all out of ideas so I'm hoping some one here might have more luck than me and it'll be hugely appreciated, thanks!

Attached Thumbnails

• system.jpg

Attached Files

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Did you try Windows' "System Restore" to return Windows to a previous state when your computer was functioning correctly?

dt98rmb

dt98rmb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I tried that to the previous state, which didn't work, but for completeness, I just tried it to another state last week way before I faffed around.

The audio is now working. I'm now just trying to figure out what I updated since and most weird of all, try to find a bunch of files that have disappeared. I though a restore wouldn't delete files, but it seems to have deleted a bunch of game install files I had as well as a bunch of driver files and stuff I kept in a folder.

Most weird, but cheers for the help! :D

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
You're welcome. :D

Here's what Microsoft has to say about what System Restore does and does not do:

How to restore Windows XP to a previous state
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306084

System Restore takes "snapshots" of critical system files and some program files and registry settings and stores this information as restore points. If your computer is not functioning correctly, you can use these restore points to return Windows XP to a previous state when your computer was functioning correctly. It can also change scripts, batch files, and other kinds of executable files on your computer.
Note System Restore does not affect personal files, such as e-mail, documents, or photos.