Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Crazy boot up and shut down cycle

• Please log in to reply

Kashink

Kashink

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
Hi,

Around 4 o'clock yesterday morning, my desktop went into a crazy loop. I had turned it off the day before around 5 pm, nothing special happened. At 4 am, it started booting up and shutting down automatically during a few minutes, until I got up and unplugged it. When I plugged it back in in the morning, it went at it again. I pressed the start button, then the delete button until I got to a blue screen with several options, then pressed escape to let the system finish booting up. After that, I updated my antivirus (ESET NOD32) and Anti-Malware, did a scan with the one, then the other, and the computer appeared clean. I then worked all day long with the computer, no problem. When I shut it down, it went into the loop again. This morning, it won't boot up. Whenever I press the start button, the process is interrupted after a few seconds. I will keep trying, but my question now is : should I consider this as a virus or malware situation, or as another type of malfunction? I am very confused at this point and do not know how to tackle this problem.

Thank you,

Kashink

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Probably a faulty PSU - you should have it checked out at a PC repair shop who can replace it if it's faulty.

Kashink

Kashink

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
Thanks for the advice, I will make a few calls tomorrow, when the shops open.

K.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
It could be that your start button is faulty and is kept pressed from time to time. As you know, pressing the button has two functions; to switch the computer on and to force shutting. If the switch behind the button is faulty and is kept pressed - it can get into this crazy loop.

If you are handy enough you can remove the computer's front panel and uncover the power switch. Spray it lightly with WD-40 or a similar products and press the button few times until completelty free. Re-install the switch and front panel.

Kashink

Kashink

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
Hi Skeptic,

It turns out you were right. ;) Brought my PC to the shop and they first thought it was the PSU, then the motherboard. After replacing the motherboard, problem persisted. That's when they figured it was the power button. I was lucky the owner of the shop is very honest, otherwise it would have cost a bundle. They did say it was their first time ever encountering this kind of defect.

Thanks again. :D

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Thanks for letting us know.