Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless hook-up help needed.....

• Please log in to reply

Barbara S.

Barbara S.

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a DELL Inspron 530 (Vista) PC. I just moved from PA to TN and my PC was hooked up to a wireless router in PA. I have set up my PC at my home in TN and I do not know how to go into my PC and have it accept my Sprint Sierra Wireless air stick. Is there someone out there that can talk me through the process?
I appreciate you!

Edited by sari, 12 December 2010 - 02:40 PM.
Removed email address - help is only offiered on the forums.

Advertisements

Mdenton45

Mdenton45

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
Barbara,
Could I get some more information from you so I can attempt to help?

• Do you still have the same wireless router?
  • If so what is the make and model?
  • Do you have the information like the SSID and Security Key to join your wireless network in case you need it again?
  • Wondering if you have any other devices connected to the router either wired or wireless?
  • What is the model number of your Sierra Wireless air stick?

Trying to figure out whether you should be able to just set up your old router and connect with your air stick or you have new router etc and need to set everything up again.

Barbara S.

Barbara S.

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Barbara,
Could I get some more information from you so I can attempt to help?

• Do you still have the same wireless router? NO
  • If so what is the make and model? I have no router or phone line, just my wireless Broadband USB Modem.
    *]Do you have the information like the SSID and Security Key to join your wireless network in case you need it again? ???
  • Wondering if you have any other devices connected to the router either wired or wireless? NO
  • What is the model number of your Sierra Wireless air stick? Sprint 598U Sierra Wireless.

Trying to figure out whether you should be able to just set up your old router and connect with your air stick or you have new router etc and need to set everything up again.

When I moved into my apartment in PA, my roommate hooked my PC & laptop to his router. My laptop is accepting my stick, so I think he when in and made some changes in my PC. So I believe my PC needs to be told to accept my stick. I do not have the knowledge to do this. Are you allowed to call me? 570/545-7006 I am not sure of all the rules of using this service. I appreciate your reply. Thanks Barbara

Mdenton45

Mdenton45

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
Barbara,
We only try to help on the forums as Sari mentioned when she edited your first post. Among other things this is done so that others might benefit from reading the responses and fixes. Let me do a little reading and I will get back to you.

You should edit your post and remove your phone number.

Just so I understand you correctly,
  • You now have a wireless Broadband USB modem provided by your internet service provider or do you mean you only have the Sprint 598U as your modem and you connect through Sprint coverage?
  • You have both a desktop and a laptop and use the Sprint 598U Sierra Wireless usb stick to get on the net.
  • Your laptop is working with the stick and you can get on the internet with it, but you want to configure your desktop also.
  • Do you switch between the desktop and laptop with this stick or do you have more than one?

Edited by Mdenton45, 12 December 2010 - 06:30 PM.

Mdenton45

Mdenton45

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
Barbara,
Let's see if this works. These directions are taken from 598U user guide on the Sprint website. The whole guide can be found here.

Installing the Software and Drivers

• If your USB modem has not yet been activated, ensure you are in the network
    coverage area (not roaming).
  • Remove the protective cap from the USB modem by placing your fingers on the side
    of the cap and carefully pulling it off.
  • Gripping both sides of the USB modem, insert it into your computer’s USB slot.

Note Windows Vista users: You must log in with administrative privileges to install the software
and drivers.
Windows XP users: You may need to log in with administrative privileges, depending on your
Windows configuration.
As part of the installation process you may be prompted to restart your computer; save any
open documents.

• Windows detects the USB modem and installs the drivers for it. This may take a few
    minutes. Once completed, the system tray may display “Your devices are ready to
    use” or “Your new hardware is installed and ready to use.”
  • The LED indicator is lit (blue, or blinking amber); the Sprint logos on the front of
    the USB modem are also lit.
  • If the Software Installation Wizard has not started automatically, in Windows Explorer
    browse to the entry (under My Computer) and run AppLaunch.exe or, if
    you’re running Windows Vista, in the “AutoPlay” window click Sprint SmartView
    Installation to start the wizard.
  • In the installation window, click Next.
  • Read the License Agreement and select “I accept the terms in the License Agreement” to
    agree to the terms. Click Next. (A series of dialog boxes guides you through the
    installation.)
  • Use the Next and Back buttons to navigate through the wizard.
  • In the “InstallShield Wizard Completed” window, click Finish.
  • Wait until the system tray displays “Your devices are ready to use” or “Your new
    hardware is installed and ready to use.”
  • If a message that you must restart your computer is displayed, click Yes to restart your
    computer. Wait until your computer restarts.

Starting the Windows Software

• Double-click the program’s icon [ ] on your desktop.
    – or –
  • Select Start > All Programs > Sprint > Sprint SmartView.

Activating Your USB Modem

• If your USB modem has not been preactivated or you have not activated it at the time of
    purchase, you must activate your account and configure the USB modem to use your
    account.
  • If the “One Touch Activation” window appears, click Yes to indicate that you’d like to have
    the network autoprogram your USB modem. Sprint SmartView will display “Preparing
    services, Please wait.”
  • If activation is successful, Sprint SmartView will then display “Ready: Sprint Mobile
    Broadband,” after which you are ready to connect to the network.
  • If activation was not successful, a message window is displayed.

Removing the USB Modem

• Exit the Sprint SmartView software if it is open.
  • If a memory card (microSD™) is inserted into the USB modem, ensure that you have
    completed any file transfers, and then safely remove the hardware:
  • Click the Safely Remove Hardware icon in the system tray, and click the Safely remove Mass Storage Device entry for the memory
    card.
  • Remove the USB modem from your computer’s USB slot by gripping both sides of
    the USB modem and pulling straight out.

Let me know how you make out with this.

Edited by Mdenton45, 12 December 2010 - 06:46 PM.