Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Older MoBo is it worth the money to buy parts ?

• Please log in to reply

Snottz

Snottz

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
I'll be running My link
with a AMD64 x2 3800+ CPU with 2G/RAM(Patriot 1g pc3200).
I need all other parts trying to make it a cheap build and also have a nice case already.
Need O/S( is xp 64 bit compatible)
PSU have one picked out already so might be good there
Need HDD,CD/DVD rom, Video Card.

If anyone can throw me some ideas of decent parts cheap trying to budget this. And hopefully run wow at decent frames(average 40+ hopefully)

If u all think just junk it and buy better parts slowly and not bother let me know.

Thnx, Snottz

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You did really good with your explanation but you forgot the most important part.
What is your budget for the remaining parts you mentioned?
Hard Drives for 50USD or less
Dvd\cdrom Burners for 50USD or less
Video Cards for 50USD or less.

$150 USD for parts plus shipping. :D

Snottz

Snottz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Sorry about that I did forget to add price tag on budget.... I'm looking to spend half of what my main build would be so around $300 USD. I did find a nice Video card My link 80 $USD.. also these parts...
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16827135204 $20 USD
My link $38 USD
My link $50 USD
So spending around $180 USD without O/S.... Which brings me to my next question is this build Windows 7(64 bit) capable or am I in the search for an older O/S like Windows xp 64 bit ?

Anything information I might have left out let me know and I'll update it... Thanks for the help it's greatly appreciated on this build... Also will be my first :D
Ohh Also how do you think my FPS will be off the top of your head ?

Thnx, Snottz

Edited by Snottz, 13 December 2010 - 08:03 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
1 gig of memory on the GPU your FPS should be good.
As far as WIn7 most home users don't need the 64 unless you are wanting more security in your OS.
This Win 7 32bit is the one I would suggest you get.

Snottz

Snottz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I thought 32 bit vs. 64 bit allowed more memory read from mother board and better overall ? I need to learn more on the O/S for systems on what does what... Got any links ?
(ohh and i have 2 sticks of 1g ram) 2gigs total .. So most likely as u said I'll be good.

Snottz

Snottz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I thought 32 bit vs. 64 bit allowed more memory read from mother board and better overall ? I need to learn more on the O/S for systems on what does what... Got any links ?
(ohh and i have 2 sticks of 1g ram) 2gigs total .. So most likely as u said I'll be good.

Snottz

Snottz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I also have a 64 bit CPU which would run 64 bit Windows compatable.
Sorry about the multi post dang computer froze....Hence why I need to build a new one.

Edited by Snottz, 13 December 2010 - 09:42 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yes a 64 bit OS will utilize more then 3.5 gigs where 32 bit can't.
If you plan on going to more then 3.5 gigs of memory then yes the 64 bit would be the one you want.
Win 7 64 bit
Same price as the 32 bit version so the decision is yours to make. :D

Snottz

Snottz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Ahhh I see.... welll i do wanna build my main computer but funds are short atm... I can either wait it out and buy half the build now and suck it up or go with this build but I won't be getting what I want or be sure if it will hold up in some newer online games(MMORPG) Wow, Conan, Eq2 at good settings. Think it will hold up ? Or wait on my other build to garuntee that it will hold up to any of the newer games for awhile ?(Check my other post if u wanna see specs please) Can u rate that computer too if u dont mind checking it out ?

Thnx, Snottz :D

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The thing you have to realize is that planning for parts in the future is impossible. Components change every 3 to 6 months so what you decide on today will be outdated in 3 months.
If you truly want the best then when you are actually ready to buy and have your budget set then you pick out your parts and buy everything at one time. This will make sure everything is compatible with each other.

Again 4 gigs of memory should be enough to run just about anything right now and with the 1 gig on the video card you should not have a problem running WOW.

I just built a new system back in January and spent 1500 on the newest video card, memory, hd's, cpu, mobo and case. The week after I built the system there was a newer video card and 3 months later a newer mobo.

Snottz

Snottz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Indeed the MoBo is from 05 when it was actually a good Mobo to build on. Now it's just collecting dust, I also got it off a friend. I was going to see if I could build on it but the money I'll be spending would be usless cause I can put more into my main build and have what I need and want especially for future upgrades as you said.
So im going to just let it be and keep saving for this build I have setup.

Thnx, Snottz :D

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I agree since you will be dating your system from the start.
Being 5 years old I bet Win7 will have problems with drivers for sure.
When you are ready to buy let us know and we will assist in the build suggestions then. :D

Snottz

Snottz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Will do so .. Thnx, Snottz :D