Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is My Computer Dying?!

• Please log in to reply

sita999

sita999

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
I have been sent here from Virus, Spyware and Malware Removal where I was very kindly helped to get rid of malware from my laptop.... (thread here http://www.geekstogo...es/page__st__15)

I then installed AVG free and everything seemed fine but the next day it wouldn't even turn on. Below I have described the screens I can access, which I hope will be helpful. My laptop is 4 years old now and before this latest spate of malware had to be completely wiped because it had another virus (I'm no expert regarding this stuff, can you tell?!) The CD drive is also very hap-hazard as my boyfriend kindly dropped the computer onto concrete last year so now it seldom chooses to work.

So I am wondering if it could be on the way out? If anyone can help it would be much appreciated! Here is the info I have:

I can press F8 and it says:

Please select operating system to start:

Microsoft Windows recovery Console
do not select this (debugger enabled)
Microsoft Windows XP Professional

For troubleshooting press F8.

When I press F8 it says:

Windows advanced options menu:

Safe mode
Safe mode with networking
Safe mode with command prompt

Enable boot logging
Enable VGA mode
Last known good configuration
Directory services restore mode
Debugging mode
Disable suto restart on system failure

Start normally
reboot
return to OS choices menu.

When I select 'recovery console' it asks me:

1: C\Windows
Which windows installation would you like to log onto?

and when I select Microsoft Windows XP Professional as the OS to start nothing happens, I just have a blank screen. I've also tried 'last known good config' and it produced a list as if it was checking and then seemed to crash.

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
I would suggest to choose these options

1st: Disable suto restart on system failure (this will help you get any error codes if your Laptop has BSOD)

2nd: Safe mode

If this does not work try to get all the information on your laptop that might be written (if any) on your screen.

By choosing this option it brought you to the DOS command prompt so you can work on your XP installation through DOS commands and would not have started your laptop normally like you are use to.

sita999

sita999

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Ok so I've disabled the auto restart on system failure & tried to start it in safe mode but it's frozen on a screen with a list of 24 lines, nearly all starting in:

Multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\sr.sys

Or whatever, this is the last one that appears....any ideas? I'd like to avoid wiping everything if possible as I have work on there!

sita999

sita999

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Also I have taken a photo on my phone of what it says so could email it somewhere if that'd help?

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Do you have an XP cd or was XP preinstall on your laptop?

If it was preinstall you might have what is call a recovery partition on your Hard Drive to reinstall XP in case of trouble.

If you have an XP CD then we will be able to repair your laptop without you loosing any data, if only a recovery partition then it will be harder.

First thing to do is to boot your laptop and press F8 and choose Microsoft Windows recovery Console and do like you did before but after you have chosen 1: C\Windows

Press Enter.
If prompted to do so, enter your Administrator password. If you don't have one, leave it blank and press enter.
From the command prompt, enter: chkdsk /r (note the space between chkdsk and /r)
Allow it to complete undisturbed.

This might take a long time and it may seem to be stuck at one point but let it run until it is finish.

When finish please note if it has detected any errors and if they were all repaired.

Let us know of the result.

Tee*Cee

Tee*Cee

• PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

I have been sent here from Virus, Spyware and Malware Removal where I was very kindly helped to get rid of malware from my laptop.... (thread here http://www.geekstogo...es/page__st__15)

I then installed AVG free and everything seemed fine but the next day it wouldn't even turn on. Below I have described the screens I can access, which I hope will be helpful. My laptop is 4 years old now and before this latest spate of malware had to be completely wiped because it had another virus (I'm no expert regarding this stuff, can you tell?!) The CD drive is also very hap-hazard as my boyfriend kindly dropped the computer onto concrete last year so now it seldom chooses to work.

So I am wondering if it could be on the way out? If anyone can help it would be much appreciated! Here is the info I have:

I can press F8 and it says:

Please select operating system to start:

Microsoft Windows recovery Console
do not select this (debugger enabled)
Microsoft Windows XP Professional

For troubleshooting press F8.

When I press F8 it says:

Windows advanced options menu:

Safe mode
Safe mode with networking
Safe mode with command prompt

Enable boot logging
Enable VGA mode
Last known good configuration
Directory services restore mode
Debugging mode
Disable suto restart on system failure

Start normally
reboot
return to OS choices menu.

1: C\Windows
Which windows installation would you like to log onto?

and when I select Microsoft Windows XP Professional as the OS to start nothing happens, I just have a blank screen. I've also tried 'last known good config' and it produced a list as if it was checking and then seemed to crash.

May I ask, is this the new AVG 10, 2011 Free edition? IF so, you may want to remove that first, and install a more stable AV like Avast or Avira. I know of MANY instances where AVG has caused some VERY bad issues. Do let us know, if this is the new version, because it just might be THAT is what is causing your issues.

Edited by Tee*Cee, 14 December 2010 - 07:29 PM.

sita999

sita999

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Yes Tee Cee, I'm pretty sure it is (99%) although I can't get onto my computer properly to look.

And Alzheimer I think I have discs from Siemens with xp on them... I'll take a proper look and get back to you.

Thanks both let me know if you want me to do anything!

sita999

sita999

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hi again Alzheimer I've tried to do the recovery console thing but it won't let me enter 1: C\WINDOWS it says this command is not recognised.

I have found the CDs I have: one is called "Operating System - Recovery CD/DVD" but it says warning, all data and applications will be deleted. Underneath it says Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP 2. There is also another one called Drivers and Utilities.

I hope that helps!

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
You only have a recovery CD not a complete XP install cd so you will not have the option to repair your installation.

I am not use on working with recovery cd to do any repair so maybe somebody else may be able to help you, but to my best knowledge i would suggest trying to connect your present Hard rive to another computer as a SLAVE drive and svae your data and after that is done put it back in your laptop and format and wipe all data with your recovery cd and reinstall XP.

Tee*Cee

Tee*Cee

• PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
Hi sita999, listen to Alzeimer, and hopefully someone with more experience in this, will help you get it to load, and once you do, I wold also suggest removing that AVG ASAP, as it has caused systems to actually crash. I sure do hope all goes well. One step at a time tho, remember, don't try to do everything at once. Yes, that new AVG is a bad one. :D