Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem using Restoration CD's for Gateway (XP, JAN 2004)

• Please log in to reply

BWalter

BWalter

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Problem using Restoration CD's for Gateway (XP, JAN 2004)

I am trying to reinstall Windows XP on Gateway Model 510X (JAN 2004). I am using RED, BLUE and YEL factory Restoration CD's which came with the computer. Going by factory instructions "Reinstalling Windows" (has 20 steps): RED CD works okay; running BLUE CD system gets stuck forever at step 14. Monitor displays on top: “Windows Setup” and at bottom: “Setup is loading files (TOSHIBA Floppy Driver (Libretto Type A))”.
I tried several times. The setup never goes further.
Additional info:
I was unable to boot my Gateway computer due to some serious bugs. Norton could not help.
Therefore I decided to restore this Gateway to its original factory condition by using the 3 Restoration CD’s.
These CD’s were never taken out of their envelopes (I had to break the paper seals) and seem to be in perfect condition.
What shall I do? I don’t want to throw this computer away.

Thank you very much for your help.

Advertisements

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
Howszit BWalter? and Welcome to GtoG...

Since your restoration CDs came right out of their envelopes, perhaps it could be your hardware causing the freeze? (Inspect the CD's data surface though and verify no scratches or smudges. Clean with soft cloth and water if so).

I have had cases where bad memory chips stop the install and bad DVD/CD drives. Did your system have any trouble with CDs? Were you getting blue screens? If you have access to another DVD drive, try swapping it with the one in your system now and see if that works. It could also be your PSU getting old and putting out varying DC currents to the MB.

I just had a case of an older notebook whose dvd drive caused a re-boot after I had started a op system repair. This resulted in a notebook that would not boot at all. I attached an Ext USB DVD drive which the system did recognize and that allowed me to finish the system repair.

Hope this helps and Merry Christmas...

BWalter

BWalter

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
16 DEC 10

Hello Mark,

Thank you very much for your fast response to my post from 14 DEC 10.

Somebody told me earlier that the place the downloading stops is at the "LBRTFDC.SY_" (the Toshiba floppy driver file) in file I386.
To check this out, I put the blue disk into a functioning computer with Windows 7.
It shows: “Files Currently on the Disc (13)”
One of the folders:” I386”. When I open it: “Files Currently on the Disc (5123)”. The first file after “Layout Setup Information” is “LBRTFDC.SY_” and its memory size “SY_ File 15kB”.
After double clicking “LBRTFDC.SY_” it tells me “Windows can’t open this file”. Going to the Web for the right software yields a number of suggestions. I did not try to download any of the suggested programs for opening such files since I don’t know if it would compromise my Windows 7 Computer.
I can see all files with their icons and kB numbers when I open this I386 folder.

At least after putting this blue disk into a functioning computer I could get the above mentioned info.
Shall I go further and try reading this file on the Windows 7 computer by downloading one of the suggested programs. Will it damage this computer? Even if I could open this Toshiba floppy driver file, I probably could not understand the code anyway. Or was it sufficient already to do what I did to prove that the problem is not the blue disk?

I never had a problem with the CD drive in question – no blue screen. The same drive read the first red disk alright, prompting me to insert the blue disk. After the second (blue) disk is successfully downloading files for many minutes and stops at this very same spot.
Is it possible that I got a blue disk with some bad code from the factory? Maybe not?

The only other DVD drive I have is the one in the new computer and I am very reluctant to try the swap, especially being suspicious about compatibility and standardization.

Could I buy a new hard drive and try this whole procedure? I saw some advertised for ca. $ 50.
Does one need to format somehow a new hard drive or could I just put it in and use the same 3 disks for Windows XP and try the restoration? If the result is identical I could return the hard drive.

I know very little about computers as you can tell but I am pretty handy.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Do you still have your floppy drive install on your pc, maybe if you disconnect it the recovery process will not try to load the driver for it LBRTFDC.SY_ (just a guess but worth the try) if it works and you can finish the recovery process you can always download the driver and reconnect your floppy drive after.

http://www.dynamicli...mes/sys-l01.htm (download page for your driver)
here is the information about it:

Name: Lbrtfdc.sys
Size: 33.408
Version: Version 5.10.3 (XPClient.010817-1148)
Company: Toshiba Corp.
Description: Toshiba Libretto floppy controller
Windows: XP/Vista/7 WDM Driver

Or one other suggestion is to copy the BLUE disk to another computer (except the corrupt file) and manually insert a good version in the I386 and burn the content back on a cd and try using that cd in the recovery process.

One last thing the file Lbrtfdc.sys is known to be sometimes replaced by a malware version
http://www.file.net/...brtfdc.sys.html

Edited by Alzeimer, 16 December 2010 - 11:14 PM.

BWalter

BWalter

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
31 DEC 2010

Thank you very much for your help. I tried the following:
1. I burnt a DVD-R with the entire contents of the blue disk minus the file: LBRTFDC.SY_.
Then I went through the restoration process as usual starting with the red disk. When it asked for the blue disk I
inserted the burnt DVD. This disk was not accepted.

2. I made an exact (complete) copy of the blue disk and used it in a new restoration process
in the same place as the original blue disk. Again stuck at the TOSHIBA floppy driver.

3. I disconnected the 2” ribbon cable at the floppy drive which, by the way is made by
Panasonic. Is it possible that the Gateway people put the wrong (TOSHIBA) driver
on my blue restoration disk instead of a Panasonic driver? Or is the software identical ?
Then I went through the normal restoration procedure. Again stuck at the TOSHIBA floppy
driver.

4. I did the same thing as 3. above. However, I used the burnt copy of the blue disk minus the
driver as described under 1. above. This disk was ejected.

Audrey Wright

Audrey Wright

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I need a gateway blue recovery disk,I install a new hard drive I have the red, yellow but no blue one.