Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Boot Problem with weird message..

• Please log in to reply

jjd1984

jjd1984

• PipPip
  • 18 posts

I have a Dell computer that has a booting error. When I go to boot the computer, the Dell logo comes on and is then followed by a black screen with a message that says:

"Loading FreeDOS...
ROOT FAT"

The strange thing about this is that I took the original hard drive out and replaced it with another one and it still gets that error.

With that said, I know it is not a hard drive problem which kind of concerns me because hard drive problems are generally easy to figure out or fix. Anybody got answers?

Advertisements

djgotee

djgotee

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
From what I remember, frre dos is an operating system. Operating systems, on boot, are either on the hard drive, or on a disk or floppy or other drive of some sort.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
is there a cd or floppy in a drive?

That is weird. What Dell model?

FreeDos is an opensource OS...not sure what is going on here. If no cd or floppy, remove the harddrive...same error?

jjd1984

jjd1984

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Ha ha, tehre was a disk in the floppy drive! Thanks guys!

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
:tazz: