Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell Inspiron e1505, zero life, led's light, no obvious signs of s

• Please log in to reply

pointr97

pointr97

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Howdie All,
I have sifted through the various forums for two days now looking for a possible direction to look regarding this laptop. It is an e1505, one morning my wife mentioned it just would fire up. There was no pre-existing conditions, the laptop seemed to run just fine. Upon examination, the battery tested to full power(via the self meter on it), I put a voltage meter on the ac adapter, was producing the required voltage. Pressing the power button, lights would light for a few seconds(3-6secs), and then shut off. This laptop has been loved by my wife and daughter. I think it is on its third keyboard, second monitor, and a few ram chips later. I am pretty familar with the inner workings of it. So i have it pulled apart, looking for anything obvious, like scorch marks to show me it has overheated. On initial inspection, everything appears to be the way it should.....there is a bit of a smell, and i stress a bit of a smell. I am a low voltage technician by trade and an engineer by degree, so I am familiar with what a burned motherboard smells like and looks like....however, there was a hint of that but it wasn't to the level you would expect. Again, board looks fine, cpu/gpu looks fine, there is a bit of dust on the fans and cooling rods. There is also a bit of smootz on a series of horizontal leads in the middle of the board very close to the monitor side of the motherboard. It didn't appear to be scorching but just 'gunk'. One last bit of info, when i had the case off, upon pressing the power button, the cooling fan didn't even start to cycle, which i am assuming is a standard initial start up aspect. My first assumption is that the mobo has failed somehow, but I find it odd that it would just fail without any other cause, ie dropping...My logic would look for an outside variation to the normal operation to determine the catalyst of the problem, however, this one just seemed to pop up literally overnight.....Now please let us belay the 'dell 2-3 year laptop suicide' conspiracy, I just don't buy it with computer hardware(of course, I have been wrong in the past). Hope I gave you enough to work with, and Thank you again in advance....And before you ask, yes i read every other thread on the e1505....none of those solutions applied or worked....So, should I just throw my hands up and chunk it out the window or start looking for strange parts that have gone bad....Last input, if i do need to replace the mobo, anyone know what mobo's will fit in that chassis besides the original dell part(just looking for options, wouldn't mind to upgrade it with newer stock if i am going to do that work anyways). Thanks again, and Happy Holidays.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hi pointr97 :D
It sounds like the CPU fan has failed causing the MB thermal sensor to activate to prevent damage from overheating to the CPU.
From your OP it is obvious that you have no issues regarding dismantling and replacing the fan yourself but I have included a link to a guide showing "how to" should others need it http://www.insidemyl...ng-cooling-fan/
I hope this helps you resolve the issue and please let us know how things work out.