Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CMOS Failure

• Please log in to reply

elementis

elementis

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hey guys,
I am having great troubles fixing my laptop.

I just got it a little while ago and replaced the hard drive in it with one from my old laptop. After I did that, I had a few driver problems and was working on fixing them.

When fixing one of the drivers on my computer I tried to reset the CMOS memory(I shouldn't have needed to do that I know, but at the time I thought it could have possibly fixed one of my driver conflicts), so I took out the battery and put it back in.

Big mistake, because when I took it out, I accidently broke off this flimsy plastic covering that helped it stay in securely.
So what I did to get it back in was use a little paper for spacers and scotch tape to secure it in so it would not pop out.

It fits snuggly now, but the CMOS battery still will not work.

I measured the voltage across the terminals and got 3V when I measured it. Even though I'm getting voltage, I'm still not getting my computers time settings to stay the same when I reboot, so there is still a problem with the cmos.

Is there anybody here that can help me diagnose this?
Would really like to know what I need to do to fix it! I hope its repairable...

My Laptop: Acer Aspire 5742

My OS: Windows 7 64 bit

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hi elementis :D
In your OP you make no mention of entering the BIOS on boot up, resetting the time and date, saving the settings and exiting! Have you done this?
The only other cause I can think of at the moment is a displaced jumper cap or a bad BIOS chip.

elementis

elementis

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
YAY!! haha, thats precisely what it was. I forgot to reset that date/time in the BIOS. Did that and now it works perfectly. Thanks so much.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Congratulations on resolving your CMOS issue I am happy you got it sorted ;)
Thank you for choosing GTG, for allowing me to assist and most importantly for posting the solution :D ;)