Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Computer Purchased

• Please log in to reply

Gabriel1

Gabriel1

• PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
Ok. so i purchased this computer off ebay, its going to be used for light (extremely) gaming. nothing graphic intense.

http://cgi.ebay.com/...e=STRK:MEWNX:IT

It's an HP DC5750

Comes with:
AMD 3800+ 2.0ghz CPU
500GB HDD
2GB Ram DDR2
512MB GPU
19" LCD monitor

Like i said, im not buying this for something like Crysis on high detail, just some low graphic games. like sro >_>

Did i mention i bought it for only $316?!?

Good or bad? Also, just to upgrade it a bit more im thinking about buying an extra stick of ram and maybe changing the CPU what do you guys think?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hi Gabriel1,
The system is ok for the purposes you have stated and the price also seems reasonable.
Adding another 1GB of Ram is a good idea if you are sticking with XP but look to upgrade to Windows 7 if your system is compatible and add two more 1GB sticks of matching RAM.
I did not see any MB specs at your link, is the MB a socket 939? If it is, below is some info on upgrading the CPU;
http://uk.answers.ya...29125428AAisOn3
A cautionary note would be to check out the present PSU fitted, HP and others are guilty of putting stock 250/300W PSUs in their systems to keep costs down, these have a high failure rate and they take other components with them when they go, the specs for your computer says upgraded graphics card to 512MB but there is no mention of the PSU fitted let alone whether it is capable of powering the present system efficiently, some graphics cards are power hungry and a 512MB could require 400W alone to function correctly, not good if your PSU is a stock 250/300W type.

Gabriel1

Gabriel1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
The ad unfortunately doesn't mention anything about the Mobo so i'd have to look into that when i get.
Thanks for the information, i looked on crucial for some ram already and will probably purchase 2GB from them for $42 shipped.

And you said matching ram, do you mean matching with the current ram or the two that i would purchase would have to match with each other?

I probably will stick with the current CPU and try to OC it to maybe 2.5 if HP will allow it.

Hopefully with the new GPU they also upgraded the PSU because since this is a small form factor HP case i doubt i have much choice into changing the PSU without changing the case and that would also be hard with a smaller mobo.

Thanks.

Edited by Gabriel1, 18 December 2010 - 08:58 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Matching pairs of new Ram, this reduces the possibility of conflicts between the new sticks.
Are you aware that your XP will not recognise the full 4GB of Ram (3.3GB only if I remember correctly).
When your computer arrives remove the side and get both the PSU and video card details and do some
research on them, post them here and we will look for info for you, small form factors are nice but
you are limited with your upgrade options.

EDIT: Sorry I forgot to include this http://www.microsoft...PAE/PAEmem.mspx

Edited by phillpower2, 18 December 2010 - 09:13 AM.

Gabriel1

Gabriel1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Matching pairs of new Ram, this reduces the possibility of conflicts between the new sticks.
Are you aware that your XP will not recognise the full 4GB of Ram (3.3GB only if I remember correctly).
When your computer arrives remove the side and get both the PSU and video card details and do some
research on them, post them here and we will look for info for you, small form factors are nice but
you are limited with your upgrade options.

EDIT: Sorry I forgot to include this http://www.microsoft...PAE/PAEmem.mspx

Yea i am aware about the windows xp 32bit not recognizing the 4gb thats why ill upgrade to win7 :D

http://www.aliexpres...holesalers.html

this says the 5750 is a socket 940... bad or good? >_<

ill probably just buy the ram sticks as the only upgrade and try to OC the CPU.

What are the chances that HP will let me OC the CPU atleast to 2.4ghz? ive looked around and everyone says HP wont allow you to OC anything.

confusing part is, the amd 3800+ is a socket 939 processor so the information in the link must be wrong.
But since all those CPU's are phased out im not looking to spend an additional $200 for a new CPU >_<

So what would you recommend i do? Just upgrade the OS and ram to 4gb?

Edited by Gabriel1, 18 December 2010 - 09:24 AM.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The 3800+ was available in 939 and Socket AM2.
Socket 940 is a misused term - it can apply both to AM2/3 and actual 940. However the processors are not interchangeable.

You can tell the difference by removing the processor and looking at the writing on the white ZIF block.

The eBay link makes mention of DDR2 memory, so it can't be Socket 939.

Edited by Neil Jones, 18 December 2010 - 09:33 AM.

Gabriel1

Gabriel1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

The 3800+ was available in 939 and Socket AM2.
Socket 940 is a misused term - it can apply both to AM2/3 and actual 940. However the processors are not interchangeable.

You can tell the difference by removing the processor and looking at the writing on the white ZIF block.

The eBay link makes mention of DDR2 memory, so it can't be Socket 939.

I see.. well like i said i'd probably leave the CPU anyway, since i guess that'd make my MOBO a socket AM2 isn't that a good thing anyway?

So my last question of the day would be: Should i just upgrade the Ram to 4GB. get win7 and call it a day?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Before deciding to upgrade to Win 7 it is good to find out if there will be any problems with software, hardware or drivers by going to the Win 7 Update Advisor.
This will Tell you of any potential issues with either your hardware or software. It will also tell you about drivers available for your system for Win 7

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
If the board is an AM2 it would be good, more upgrade options.
I don`t OC so cannot help you with that but here is some general info you may find useful http://www.pcstats.c...?articleID=1804
The information is contradictory, if you do open the case to check the PSU and video card
specs check the MB details as well.
Yes at this time upgrade the OS and Ram only, but wait until the computer arrives and run
the Windows 7 advisor to make sure your system is compatible http://www.microsoft...iderations.aspx

Gabriel1

Gabriel1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
Thanks a lot for all the help guys, computer should be here Tuesday or Wednesday and i'll keep you posted ^_^ Hopefully there are no problems with the win7 advisor, the 4gb of ram would really boost the system.

First thing ill do is open up the case and then run the win7 tool.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
OK good luck, we will await an update.

Gabriel1

Gabriel1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
just did some quick research and found this;

http://h18000.www1.h...-Market Options

shows that my build supports upto a 6000+ CPU, found one for $30 on ebay, wont buy it until after i get the PC tho. dont wanna get ahead of myself

in the same link, shows form factors come with: Power Supply
240W power supply –
passive PFC
80 PLUS Power Supply
240W 80 PLUS* power supply – active PFC

Edited by Gabriel1, 18 December 2010 - 01:20 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

240W power supply –
passive PFC
80 PLUS Power Supply

:D
Sadly this isn't going to support anything you want upgrade to. This will fizzle out and most likely does not even have the correct connections for hardware or power to support higher cpu's or video cards.
Before putting money for upgraded parts I would suggest at least a 500 watt 80 Plus certified CPU.
Name brands like Corsair are known and have proven to be very stable and reliable.

Gabriel1

Gabriel1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

240W power supply –
passive PFC
80 PLUS Power Supply

:D
Sadly this isn't going to support anything you want upgrade to. This will fizzle out and most likely does not even have the correct connections for hardware or power to support higher cpu's or video cards.
Before putting money for upgraded parts I would suggest at least a 500 watt 80 Plus certified CPU.
Name brands like Corsair are known and have proven to be very stable and reliable.

yea when i saw that my dreams went poof, most i could probably do is add the 2gb of ram right?

Finding a PSU to fit this small form factor PC is going to be tough. i saw a couple of micro atx psu's but not sure if they'd fit for less then $40 as well.

i may be able to upgrade to a 4800+ CPU since its 65W which is only 20W more then the 3800+

What do you think?

edit: the mobo supports the 4450B processor, which is only 10W more. nice little list of AM2 processors and the wattage. http://products.amd....&f10=&f11=&f12=

could go upto 5400+ with only a 20W gain or is that pushing it? Could you possibly assist me in finding a PSU that would fit and would allow me to upgrade the CPU and Ram?

or should i stick with what i have and just add a gig of ram?

Edited by Gabriel1, 18 December 2010 - 01:56 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Please supply a link tot he PSU you reference.
A cheap PSU will not only fail faster but could potentially cause a electrical shortage resulting in fire.
Destroying not only the PSU but all of the components inside the case.