Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cpu Crashing? Apps not working, Error msg's, no devices listed in

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Just as a suggestion all. If you can't do a backup of data normally you might consider a Linux live cd to do this.

is there any way to resolve this by using registry fix/repair software?

Bad move here as most of these miracle Registry fix problems tend to cause more problems they fix. I have seen cases where they cause the system to become non bootable. I suggest staying away from them completely.
My suggestion is to follow through with the malware topic and then if that doesn't resolve things then you may be looking at a system repair or even a complete format and reinstall. This being done after you have saved your data.
Be warned that depending on the issue and if you do have a infection. Some data will be able to carry the infection
This is why it is important to follow through with the malware tech till they declare your system clean or no infections are found.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts

have not being doing any registry tweaking and have not fallen for the unwanted and frequently dangerous install of a registry cleaner, or booster program, HOWEVER..I have been downloading torrents....oopps..lol.

After your reply - in the above quote - to my question regarding "I hope you have NOT run any unwanted and frequently dangerous etc., or have you been downloading P2P"

I am totally amazed that you then ask if a registry fix may help.
What a good job "rshaffer61" noticed that.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 18 December 2010 - 01:25 PM.

mommagee

mommagee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
sorry. I was just following what the other tech suggested I do. I didn't realize I had to mention I was posting in the malware section.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
NO problem, do not worry.
Hope it is sorted.
If you are pronounced clean in Malware, and still have the problem you can of course post back here.

mommagee

mommagee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
I am amazed as well(in response to earlier post)... to be quite honest, I didn't even realize. I feel dumb at the moment, BUT, I meant a registry fix from a trusted source.. not a pop up window off the net. See, I know what i meant in my head at the time...lol. :D

Edited by mommagee, 20 December 2010 - 08:02 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
mommagee
Please accept my advice, in case you are not certain it is correct -
HOWEVER to try and convince you and for the benefit of anyone who may be reading this thread and thinking of using a registry cleaner -
There is generally speaking no such thing as a TRUSTED registry fix.
See this:
http://miekiemoes.bl...weaking_13.html

and this
After running 'PC registry Cleaner' on my laptop with Win7professional I now cannot access windows explorer [returns a no association message] and some programs will not install.

And there is the proof in the pudding that Registry Cleaners do more damage than they solve.

OR THIS - on a brand new computer
Registry Errors in brand new PC
Scanning Report
Total scan items: 296239
Total errors found: 132
High risk error count: 12
Count of errors recommended to ignore: 0
5 Add/Remove Programs
0 Browser Helper Objects & Configuration Files
10 Custom Controls
43 Deep Registry Scan
0 Device Drivers
20 File Extensions
0 Help and Resource, & History Lists
6 Invalid ActiveX
42 Invalild Files Path
and here is the reply from a very experienced Geek-with ack to "gerryf"

"You can install a brand new, pure OEM copy of Windows straight from Microsoft and it will likely find 120 "errors"
What I am saying is they are not really errors, they are conditions a programmer has decided are errors"

and I would add that the errors found by these programs are far too frequently not errors, but the deletion of the registry key by the program, causes REAL errors, insofar as the deleted key corrupts the registry due to the inter-association of multiple keys amongst the hundreds of entries in the registry.

Registry Structure: The Tree, Nodes and Keys
The data is stored in the registry in a tree structure format, for those who have never opened the Registry Editor, you'd find its layout is similar to what you would see when you open your Windows Explorer. Each node within the registry tree contains a key which may have both subkeys and data entries (called values). Depending on the application you run, the application may need only the associated key while others may need the value data set for that specific key. A hive in the registry is a group of keys, subkeys, and values in the registry that has a set of supporting files containing backups of its data. The Windows boot process automatically retrieves data from these supporting files.

AND my attempt to explain it in simple terms - therein lies the problem with the so-called registry cleaner/optimizer programs. the program decides what is not needed and can be deleted. However, frequently the inter-dependance of the various branches of the tree are not recognised by the program AND this is where it goes horribly wrong.

That all said, it is YOUR computer - the decision is yours.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 20 December 2010 - 09:34 PM.

mommagee

mommagee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
I meant no disrespect towards you by any means, sorry if you took it that way. I am not that "savy" when it comes to computer/software knowledge. I was unaware that registry fixing programs did more damage and there were not any "trusted" one's. I thought that the common "pop up fixes/programs" were the bad one's .. guess I'm a tad naive.

I wouldn't be on here if I did trust or want to take your or any of the tech's advice. I can't thank you guys enough for your free time & knowledge as it's got me out of a bind in the past.. so for that, I am greatful.

So again, I apologize if what I said was misinterpreted. I think my comment actually helped me as far as being more cautious about using certain programs.

I do have a question though... you guys recommended that I try and backup using a flash drive. I purchased one and my cpu acknowledged it, but then a message window came up saying: "not passed windows logo testing to verify compatibility..may impair/distabilize correct operation of system immediately or in the future...recommended you stop installation".
Due to the instability of my computer already, I am scared to use this flash drive.. what am I supposed to do?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Ignore the warning, it is simply Windows being ultra cautious.
It is similar to the warning you receive when you try to download a driver from a trusted source and data execution prevention warns you.
You know the flash drive is OK it is safe to carry on.