Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Severe Lag and a Virus i cant find!

• Please log in to reply

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
With XP - when I had it on my system I reformated and reinstalled annualy as it tended to get slow and I am the impatient type. Mindst you I am a dab hand at doing that and I had down to less than an hour :D

Advertisements

SakiKitty

SakiKitty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
See i would reformat,i really would! Only thing is, my boyfriend has flippin iTunes and to "try" to keep my computer free of files, he makes a phantom (or w/e you call it) of the mp3 and deletes the actual one. IF i do reformat, all his music that hes paid for goes with it. Yeah its his fault for not keeping these mp3s on like a flash drive or a dc or something but i cant just do that.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Looking at your drive, a good alternative would be to partition it inot two and then place all the I-tunes on the D drive (to be). Then any reformat/re-install would not affect them - I have my Itunes music on my d drive

SakiKitty

SakiKitty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
Then you would have to step me through that... just when im ready D: i dont wanna deal with the straight ANNOYANCE of reformating right now.
So for now, i feel it would be appropriate to close this topic until im ready (since it looks like that the only option we have left) then you can reopen it when i PM you and you can step me through it :D Good idea?

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Fine by I m'dear. I do know of a free programme that will partition a disk on the fly :D

Let me know when you are ready

SakiKitty

SakiKitty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
Yeah but i dunno what that does D:

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
It takes your 500GB drive and makes it into two drives of whatever size you want :D

SakiKitty

SakiKitty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
and you can choose to reformat one? (see this is why you should be on msn because things would be smoother xD)

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Yep you refomat the partition with windows on and the other stays as it is with no changes

SakiKitty

SakiKitty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
I dont know if i'll be able to do this sucessfully without someone stepping me through it all the way x_X

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
OK let me know when you have a bit of time spare, it could take upwards of an hour to do