Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Recovery Program

• Please log in to reply

chickmazta

chickmazta

• PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
Hello guys! I need some advice on how to recover specific files like .psd. The problem is that the drive is failing because the SMART status returned bad. I also accidentally formatted the first partition of the drive now labeled as drive C: which I forgot to backup the files on the desktop T_T my bad. I know some recovery programs but I'm looking for a specific one. A recovery program which can determine which part of the drive I would start. I've learned that the first 10GB of the drive is bad but when I passed through that everything is smoothly running.

I'm assuming that there is a recovery program that can do that. For example, I want to disregard the first 10GB of the drive because when I run my old program its stuck on 2% considering that its been runing for over 10 hours. So I want to start on the 11th and so on GB part of the disk.

The reason why I knew that the first 10GB of the drive was causing the problem is when I ran HDD REGENERATOR, it took me 4 days to finish the whole drive its a Seagate 500GB SATA and guess what it was made during the defective firmware era. I only need to recover the first 115GB of the disk. The other partition contained the other remaining GB of the drive is drive D: which I already obtained the data.

Hope someone could help me tnx in advance! and more power GTG!

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Data recovery programs work on the basis that they either recover everything, or nothing at all. With most of these you can't just cherry pick what you want it to retrieve before doing the work. You may be able to after it's scanned the drive but not before.

Even if you tell the program to start at a certain point on the drive, the drive has still to scan to that point so it will still get stuck on the problematic area.
This is behaviour of all data recovery software.

chickmazta

chickmazta

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
I'll try this one for sure. But I think everything is getting worse. I tried running hdd regenerator 2011 again it took me 5 days to finish, the whole drive was labeled bad meaning bad sectors. I don't clearly understand, it seems that it didn't fix the bad sectors.

Here's the thing when I put the drive on a working machine I can still access drive D: I can also access drive C: but of course there are no files in there just did a quick format on it using computer management then disk management. How come recovery programs can't read drive C: considering that I can access them through windows. I can copy paste in drive D: but not in drive C: I'm really confuse right now. I've spent so much time doing this but I can't seem to find a solution. Does this mean that the drive is trashed? And also when I ran hard disk repair software, after reboot it is not recognized until I shut it down, I mean turn off then on. Not detected when reset is applied.

chickmazta

chickmazta

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
I'll try this one for sure. But I think everything is getting worse. I tried running hdd regenerator 2011 again it took me 5 days to finish, the whole drive was labeled bad meaning bad sectors. I don't clearly understand, it seems that it didn't fix the bad sectors.

Here's the thing when I put the drive on a working machine I can still access drive D: I can also access drive C: but of course there are no files in there just did a quick format on it using computer management then disk management. How come recovery programs can't read drive C: considering that I can access them through windows. I can copy paste in drive D: but not in drive C: I'm really confuse right now. I've spent so much time doing this but I can't seem to find a solution. Does this mean that the drive is trashed? And also when I ran hard disk repair software, after reboot it is not recognized until I shut it down, I mean turn off then on. Not detected when reset is applied.

chickmazta

chickmazta

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

chickmazta

chickmazta

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

chickmazta

chickmazta

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
sorry for the multiple post, my pc lagged during the process, sorry again

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

Bad Sectors are not fixable. Any software that can claim to fix bad sectors will only be a temporary fix, because they'll go bad again later.
All the software that claims to fix bad sectors does is mark a bad sector as being a good sector. That's all. The firmware of the drive will, when it comes to use that sector again, figure out that it's bad and mark it as so.
Bad sectors on a drive are a sign that the drive is on the way out and needs replacing. To keep using them is asking for trouble as they will pack up, often at the most inconvenient time.

The drive letter is irrelevant. In most circumstances the boot drive is Drive C, though you can set this up in any other way if you really wanted to.
Data recovery programs access the drive at a lower level, and the concept of drive letters doesn't exist outside of Windows. Data recovery programs work on the drive itself, usually by logical drives and physical drives, and they scan the drive direct. Just because Windows can't see it doesn't mean it isn't accessible. Assuming the BIOS can see it and the drive is stable enough for Windows to boot, a data recovery program should be able to do its job.

chickmazta

chickmazta

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
So I guess, the chance of recovering my data is 0%? Or should I try something else? Could changing the controller from a working one with the exact same model and firmware put me on a very tiny change maybe?

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Ontrack.com

(Note: It can get e-x-p-e-n-$-i-v-e. But, more often than not, they can recover your data).