Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

internet connection

• Please log in to reply

orlando gk

orlando gk

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Before I purchased my new laptop:compaq-presario, 15' that comes loaded with window-7, I never expected to be in this diffuclt-position I find myself. I thought it would be very simple.
So, the laptop as I pointed out is new. Purchased 12-15-2010. On 12/16/2010 I went out an bought a virgin mobile broadband device:ovaction .. This broad-band was NOT complatible w/ o/s
for window 7. It listed windows xp and mac os system, etc. etc. But I did not pay attention to that small printed info that appeared on the broadband packaging at the point of purchase. One reason was,the clerks, prior to me purchasing that device, said they were sure that this device would work. I found out after I got home and could not find a proper-easy way to connect to the internet.When installing it in the usb port on my laptop, this device was not registering as the instruction on the products packing, indicated, so I knew something was totally inproper! So, yes I had to make another trip back & get my money back....
Its the 19th now, and I still need to know beside ordering home internet service from a ISP carrier, what is the simpliest way for me to connect to the internet? I never tried the:USB data cable to the cell phone method. All I like to know is the simpliest approach to use when addressing access to the internet from your home? I AM hoping that someone can tell me what to do and how. Remember the question before the us is not a desktop issue. It is a new-laptop w/a built in wifi etc. etc.

Also, before I bought that broadband device, I made several attempts at my home thinking that because I have wifi and all, I should get connect, w/out a broadb... device, but what happened there was a small list of people who had internet connection, and when I tried to connect under their location, the popup asked: for a secuity key #. And since I had no security key to give, to offer, I WAS NOT INTERNET CONNECTED. What is my best way, easiet way, AND the least expensive way for me to connect, a way in which I can connect-day after day, when I like, on my laptop? Please explain here at the forum or you can reach me removed personal contact info.

Edited by sari, 19 December 2010 - 07:30 PM.
removed email address and phone number

Advertisements

Mdenton45

Mdenton45

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
Hi Orlando,
I am sure you will find some help here at GTG. There are lots of good people volunteering their time and experience. While I don't have an immediate answer to your question I just wanted to mention that you should edit your post to remove your email and phone number.

As per the GTG terms of use

Help is permitted in the forums only. No support is offered, or allowed via Personal Message or email.

This will keep your personal info from floating around, but it will also help others reading this topic and let everyone learn from the help provided.

:D

Edited by Mdenton45, 19 December 2010 - 01:35 PM.

Mdenton45

Mdenton45

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
Orlando,
Can I get some more info from you so I can try to help? There are several questions to work out before I can give a good answer.

I understand you are working with a laptop that has a built in wifi adapter and it is not a desktop issue. Do you also have a desktop that is connected to the internet somehow?

Just curious because You also said

Also, before I bought that broadband device, I made several attempts at my home thinking that because I have wifi and all, I should get connect, w/out a broadb... device

• Do you mean because your laptop is wifi enabled, or you actually have wifi service already?
  • If you already have internet service but don't have a wireless router or access point, you won't be able to connect with your laptop.
  • If you do have one of these things, what make and model router do you have? If I know then we can reset it if you have lost or forgotten the password.
  • You need to know the name of your wireless connection and the security key like you mentioned to connect to it.
  • It looks like your laptop "sees" some wireless networks in range but if they aren't yours and you don't have the key you obviously won't be able to connect to them.

Hopefully after you answer some of these questions I can give better advice about the

best way, easiet way, AND the least expensive way for me to connect

orlando gk

orlando gk

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Orlando,
Can I get some more info from you so I can try to help? There are several questions to work out before I can give a good answer.

I understand you are working with a laptop that has a built in wifi adapter and it is not a desktop issue. Do you also have a desktop that is connected to the internet somehow?

Just curious because You also said

Also, before I bought that broadband device, I made several attempts at my home thinking that because I have wifi and all, I should get connect, w/out a broadb... device

• Do you mean because your laptop is wifi enabled, or you actually have wifi service already?
  • If you already have internet service but don't have a wireless router or access point, you won't be able to connect with your laptop.
  • If you do have one of these things, what make and model router do you have? If I know then we can reset it if you have lost or forgotten the password.
  • You need to know the name of your wireless connection and the security key like you mentioned to connect to it.
  • It looks like your laptop "sees" some wireless networks in range but if they aren't yours and you don't have the key you obviously won't be able to connect to them.

Hopefully after you answer some of these questions I can give better advice about the

best way, easiet way, AND the least expensive way for me to connect

orlando gk

orlando gk

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
thank you.. Oh I am sorry if you misunderstood. Its a new laptop & your right it is equipped w/wifi. But before I go on, NO iam not in possession of a desktop & NOR do I have a ISP carrier. (Additional info: I reside in an apartment building in NJ)

I just like to know: would you you buy another broadband devise (like a sprint 2yr warranty type broadband) would you try buying a USB data cable then hook it up to your cellphone, and wait if you get connected? Or would you drop addition $$$ and tell an ISP carrier( such as a COMCAST) to install internet servive? Really the more I try to find a suitable way it is becoming more challenging, day by day. It must be a simple easy, least expensive way for me to use my laptop in the quiet setting of my home.. I am not a geek,,,, but I know when I get the answer it will be,,,, I just DID NOT know how to approach this.

My ph # is there because I want to hear from some intelligent person.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
The cheapest way out is usually a DSL type connection through your local telephone company.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Verizon appears to have a number of mobile broadband cards that are compatible with Windows 7. They have two that are 4G devices - since that's the latest in broadband speed, I would imagine they are Windows 7 compatible. Using someone else's wireless is not legal, so trying to use a neighbor's is not a choice. I think that in order to determine the best service option for you, you need to decide if you are only going to use your laptop at home, or if you want to be able to use it elsewhere, and you need to compare the cost of getting service to your apartment versus the monthly charges for a broadband card. If they're equal or close, then it might be worth your while to get a new broadband card that would allow you to use your laptop wherever you wanted.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
The problem with broadband cards (aircards) is most are $60/month with a 5GB cap, and, compared to DSL they're s-l-o-w.