Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HP Pavilion ze4400 ac/power trouble

• Please log in to reply

thejohnstinks

thejohnstinks

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi,
I have used HP Pavilion ze4400 Laptop. I busted the internal power plug/port. ( the part inside the laptop that you plug the ac adaptor into)

I was able to get inside the laptop and locate the busted part. The part can not be fixed and I must replace it. I do not know the exact name of the part or where to find one.

I did try to look at a schematic to find the name of it but with no luck. This link will take you to the schematic ( http://www.eservicei...php?fileid=9147 ) the file is adobe and is compressed into 3 .rar files.

I would love to know where I could find the part or even a model number for it so I can find it. I'm planning on buying the part and installing it myself. Any help or direction would be loved.

Thank You,
Justin

P.S. If you are unclear of what part im talking about or about my questions please just ask.

Advertisements

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts
A lot of those HP laptops were board mounted AC adapter plugs and if thats your situation, it means you're going to have to send your machine out to a specialty laptop repair facility. Don't attempt this repair yourself because you can easily ruin the traces on the board itself and once thats done you go from a relatively inexpensive repair to something that will cost an arm and a leg. If its not a board mounted plug, go to HP's website and look up the part. Then shop it on the web.

:tazz:

thejohnstinks

thejohnstinks

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Yes, this is a board mounted AC adapter plug style motherboard. How much am I looking to spent by sending it out? I all ready have the motherboard out of the laptop case, so it would really make for an easy repair. Any places you would recommend, I live in CA. Thank You

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts
Ouch - I'm afraid your traces are probably already shot. Can you wiggle the piece thats still on the board? If no, you may be in luck but if yes, your cheapest route at this point might be a new motheboard. Roughly $75 plus shipping if its still solid and you're going to have to re-assemble your computer and ship the whole thing (it has to be tested after the repair). If the traces need to be re-soldered you could be looking at $350+ shipping.

Sorry, I know this isn't what you wanted to hear.

thejohnstinks

thejohnstinks

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks For the replay. You scared me at first, but I checked the plug and it seems to be firmly in place on the motherboard still. I was able to find the part and it's on the way. I will look for someone in town to remove and input the new one. Or My Dad use to work on circuit boards for 5 years, so im hoping he can do it. Why would my traces be shot?

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts
Your Dad would be a perfect if he's worked on circuit boards and he'll understand. Don't go to a typical tech for this repair. If your Dad looks at it he will be able to show you (probably will be duck soup for a guy with that experience) but if you need the name of a repair facility, PM me. You'll have your machine back in about a week.

mvpsoft

mvpsoft

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have the same problem. PLEASE HELP. can anyone send e a detailed picture and a part number of this part. I cannot connect my ac adapter now. Thank you in advance !