Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

"This Update Cannot Be Removed

• Please log in to reply

Danc20

Danc20

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
Hi, I just had a little query of the removable status of some of my windows updates. I was using the tool PureRa, since I am a fan of the tool JavaRa and I was wondering if I did something I shouldn't have. I checked the box Windows Update Installation Files and clicked clean. It removed almost a gigabyte of files that seemed useless. However, when I and my brother wondered if we could uninstall the updates we found a conglomerate of updates that say at the bottom "This update cannot be removed". They all say they were installed on 5/9/2010 and are grouped together. Also there are different updates interspersed throughout add/remove which carry the same message.

I am running an XP. Also to note the files the files that seemingly were removed were located under C:\Windows\ with names like $NtUninstallKB955759$. Some files remain.

My guess is that they are all part of the Service Pack 3 and I cannot remove them without removing the service pack. I do not really want to remove any of these updates, but I would still like the ability too, if I ever needed to. However that seems impossible at the moment. Maybe a manual uninstall? Any ideas?

Edited by Danc20, 20 December 2010 - 08:19 PM.

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
The folders that start with "$Nt" and then also have the word "Uninstall" somewhere in them are placed there by Windows Update when that Update was installed. The files in that "$Nt...Uninstall" folder is what Windows needs to uninstall that particular update. So, if the "$Nt...Uninstall" folder is missing, Windows does not have the information it needs to remove that update.

(That's also why Windows defaults to hiding those type folders. So users that don't know what they might be used for, won't up and delete them). :D

Danc20

Danc20

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Agh, I thought so. The program gave virtually no descriptions of what it did (except a few when searched in google) and my confidence rose when cleaning other useless files so I jumped the gun. This program is horrible compared to JavaRa :D.

Hopefully I won't have to uninstall those though. Thanks for your help Dr ;).

Edited by Danc20, 22 December 2010 - 08:34 PM.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
No problem at all Danc20. :D