Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can I use Home Theater speakers for PC?

• Please log in to reply

Peptobismol165

Peptobismol165

• PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
Hello!
I live in a nice little 8'x8' room and I just got my computer to fit in it! I have shelves in each corner of the room and I hope to get a nice 5.1 (or 7.1) surround sound speaker set. The problem with computer speakers is you can either buy a $80 speaker set that does a decent job or you have to buy a $400 speaker set that does a fantastic job! I don't have $400 and I'm not sure if the $80 one is powerful enough. Can I use a nice Home Theater speaker set for my PC?

Here's that $80 speaker set I keep referring to:

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16836121044

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

or you have to buy a $400 speaker set that does a fantastic job!

Well, considering quality home theater speakers can easily cost well over $1000 for one speaker, some may argue your point about a whole $400 "set" doing a fantastic job.

That said, yes, you can use a home theater set of speakers with your computer. But note most home theater speakers do NOT have built in amplifiers as nearly all computer speakers do. If your speakers have built-in amps, then you should be able to use the line out jacks of your sound card or the motherboard's integrated sound, if your card (or motherboard) has the necessary outputs. If your speakers are not self-powered, then you need to come out of your sound card through the "line-out" jacks and into a home theater amplifier/receiver that your speakers then attach to. Or your sound card may provide a digital/optical out that your speaker set may support.

As for those $80 speakers, they will not provide thunderous bass or LFEs, extreme highs, nor distortion free in-betweens that a decent set of speakers will. Fidelity is not about power. But for the price, they will allow you to enjoy the movie in surround sound.

Peptobismol165

Peptobismol165

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
Awesome. Thanks!

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Make sure you understand what connections your system supports before you commit your money.

Peptobismol165

Peptobismol165

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
I know what connections I have. I have a pretty decent Sound card. It supports up to 7.1

I have my heart set on the $80 speaker set. The reviews are good...for the speakers. The Sub I guess isn't very good. Would it be possible to use the speakers, but buy a separate Sub?

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

Would it be possible to use the speakers, but buy a separate Sub?

No. Like most computer speakers, the electronics/amplifiers used to drive the remaining speakers are located in the sub.

See http://www.newegg.co... Sound Speakers

Peptobismol165

Peptobismol165

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
Darn. Oh well. Thanks for the help!

Merry Christmas!

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff