Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Java quesion on FF

• Please log in to reply

Tee*Cee

Tee*Cee

• PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
Greetings, I have Windows XP Pro, SP 3. I use IE 7, and FF.

Now, my question is on FF. That is V. 3.6.13.

I just got a Java , 6 Update 13.

But I noticed in my FF browser, in the add ons, I have these:

• Java Console 6.0.16
  • Java Console 6.0.17
  • Java Console 6.0.19
  • Java Console 6.0.20
  • Java Console 6.0.20
  • Java Console 6.0.22
  • Java Console 6.0.23

Do I really need all of them, are they all linked together, or is it safe to delete any of the 16 -20? ;) Just curious at this point, all is working fine. Just wondered about so many of them showing as add-ons in FF. :D
TIA!

EDIT: Now, in my IE7, it is showing Java 6 Update 23 in programs, but not the other ones that are showing in FF. I am wondering if this is a FF issue, OR, is the new update, just another 'link' to the original Java? No errors, no problems, just curious. Yeah, I know what that did to the cat, too! ;)

Edited by Tee*Cee, 22 December 2010 - 10:16 PM.

Advertisements

Amlak

Amlak

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
As far as I know, you can remove them all and keep the latest one. No problem.

As for your second concern, I'll let someone else give you a detailed answer on that one.

Hopefully, the cat can rest in peace now. :D

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Go HERE and there is a link to instructions on how to remove the older versions.

Tee*Cee

Tee*Cee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
Hi again, rshaffer61! I went to that link, however, it shows how to remove them from add & remove program. I only have "one" in there, and that is the latest one, 6_23.

The issue I am concerned about, is all the extras I am seeing in FF as add ons.. None of those are showing in add & remove programs. Just in FF browser. :D

TIA!

Tee*Cee

Tee*Cee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

As far as I know, you can remove them all and keep the latest one. No problem.

As for your second concern, I'll let someone else give you a detailed answer on that one.

Hopefully, the cat can rest in peace now.
:D

Yeah, ON my feet! ;) ;)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK lets do it the right way then.
Please download JavaRa from the link in my signature below to your desktop and unzip it to its own folder
  • * Run JavaRa.exe, pick the language of your choice and click Select. Then click Remove Older Versions.
    * Accept any prompts.
    * Open JavaRa.exe again and select Search For Updates.
    * Select Update Using Sun Java's Website then click Search and click on the Open Webpage button.
  • Download and install the latest Java Runtime Environment (JRE) version for your computer.

http://sourceforge.n...ft&words=javara

Java Download Link
http://www.java.com/...load/manual.jsp

Tee*Cee

Tee*Cee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
Hi rshaffer61, I'll see what I can do. But I do have one TEENY question... By dl the Java Ra, and running that, isn't that going to remove ALL the Java from my computer? I only have one showing in Add & Remove Programs as it is.

The other ones are only showing in FF. ;)

Not really wanting to remove all of them, as in ALL :D

Oh, one more ?. Do I need to be ONLINE to do all this, or off line to remove?

I am trying a THIRD time to dl that Java RA

Well, that didn't work. I think DUN's have 'issues' with DUNs... Grrrr.. Wouldn't Java.com have JavaRA?

Edited by Tee*Cee, 27 December 2010 - 06:39 PM.

Amlak

Amlak

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
JavaRa is designed to remove all versions of Java that are prior to the one installed on your system. It also helps you download the latest one from the Internet.

As for the Java add-ons, I read that you can remove them all safely. But I recommend that you leave the latest one installed.

Tee*Cee

Tee*Cee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
Hi Amlak, yes, I want to do it correctly, but for some reason, it isn't dling. Maybe the DUN, or FF. I take it I can't just go into FF add ons, and disable them, then. May have to go to IE and use that..

I already have the latest one installed, 6_23 :D

Amlak

Amlak

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
You have to go to FF to disable them. IE has nothing to do with them.

You can do so by opening up FireFox. Click on Tools and then Options. In the General tab, click the Manage Add-ons... button and disable & uninstall all the Java Console versions prior to the latest one.

As for your net problem, that's a different issue now.

Tee*Cee

Tee*Cee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

You have to go to FF to disable them. IE has nothing to do with them.

You can do so by opening up FireFox. Click on Tools and then Options. In the General tab, click the Manage Add-ons... button and disable & uninstall all the Java Console versions prior to the latest one.

As for your net problem, that's a different issue now.

OK, well, then, I can do that, disable them in FF, that is easy enough to do. As far as the NET PROBLEM, no, not really a problem, just that I am on a dial up connection, is all. Yes, I can open the manage add-ons and do that. Easy enough. Thanks!!! BRB. Must restart!

Tee*Cee

Tee*Cee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
Thank you Amlak,!!! That worked like a charm! Now, I have just the latest version, and no leftovers! ;) Plus, it was pretty easy too. Have a nice evening, OK? :D

Amlak

Amlak

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
Welcome. Glad I could help. Have a nice evening, too.