Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Suggesting a sticky for this forum

• Please log in to reply

Ehsanit

Ehsanit

• PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
There are some ideas, often very good ideas, that people keep having and keep suggesting. But for whatever reason these ideas can't be implemented. In theory people should search for their suggestion before posting it, but in practice no-one does. So I figure it would be a good idea to have a sticky with perhaps the top 10 unacceptable suggestions with a short explanation as to why you can't implement it.

For example.

Search for unanswered threads
We realize that this sounds good because ... but the software... and we believe that .... If at any point the forum software changes to allow this feature we will reconsider it, but for the moment it would cause more hassle than value.

Advertisements

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Good idea - would you like to come up with the list? :D I'm not being sarcastic; if you know at least some of them off the top of your head and can post them, then it would be easier for one of us to create a post about them and make a sticky out of it.

Ehsanit

Ehsanit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
I gave it a go, but I'm rather too new to do this. I found that there were a number of suggestions for unanswered threads, a few requests for a place in GeekU, a number of Topic Missed threads, and a number of "site isn't working" threads. I didn't want to dig too far back in case the moderator/Administrator council has decided that the response given is no longer valid. For example there were a few old threads asking for a report button on each post (???).

As a start I'll suggest these three, but I do think I'm the wrong person for the task and am really not very happy with it:

Common Threads
These are some of the more common threads that are started in this suggestions forum. To save you time we've brought them together so that you can see our response and the reason for it if you were going to say the same thing. If your question is not here please still use the search function to see whether someone else might have had the same idea. If not, or if the thread in question is unresolved or badly outdated, we would love your thoughts on how to improve our site.

Search for Unanswered Threads

We realize that this sounds like a very useful feature, allowing helpers to quickly identify threads that have not yet received any replies and hopefully therefore remedy the situation.
Unfortunately the forum software that runs GTG does not support this feature, and every site-specific extension that we code is another difficulty when we need to update the sit and another place for bugs and crashes to emerge. Some other sites, perhaps on different software, have implemented this feature. But at present we judge that it would cause more trouble than benefit. Should the forum software change to allow this feature we will reconsider.

Meanwhile it is possible to sort the threads in ascending order of replies. We find that this workaround is useful for finding those who have been neglected within your subforum of expertise. It performs the same job almost as well and without any custom software threatening to break the site. Simply click "click here to show filter options" at the bottom of the forum and choose Sort by Order: replies and Sort Direction A-Z

Site not working

We do need to know when something is going wrong with this site. However before asking for a site-wide fix please do verify that the issue is not in fact on your own machine.

Please check the FAQs in this forum to make sure that you are performing the correct set of steps to complete your task.
Also please clear your browser cache and refresh the problematic page before posting.

Still Waiting for a reply

This is not the forum for pointing out that you haven't been replied to.
If you have posted a malware removal topic and it has been 3 days without response, the waiting room is the place to put your reminder.
If you are asking in any of the other forums and feel that your question has been missed, you could always reply to it yourself with a polite "I still can't work this out". "I'm still waiting" is good, providing any missing details and your own attempted fixes is much better.
While we do our best to help everyone who comes, try to remember that we are all volunteers and taking what time we can afford out of our own busy lives to help you.