Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What Do I Need to Do To Fix This?!?!?

• Please log in to reply

r111g

r111g

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
This is what I need help with.
My cpu boots to a black screen with blinking cursor.

After awhile the Emachine logo comes up then it looks like it will boot to windows.
But no it does not.
It goes back to the black screen and the blinking cursor.

After awhile for the black screen it will auto shut down due to overheating.
I tried changing the heatsink and fan but to no avail.

Is my processor fried or is my harddrive in fail mode.
I hope it's not my HD bec. it's my work cpu.
and "Yes." before all of this my cpu did keep shutting down bec. of overheating that was when I changed the Hsink unit.
That failed immediately so I put the old HS unit back in and now it does not come on at all as decribed above.
Please help with your Computer Knownledge.

My Computer is an Emachine T5088

And Thank you all in advance!!!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hi r111g welcome back to GTG, sorry to hear you are having this issue.
I would recommend you swap out the PSU, can you loan a known good one to try?
Emachine/Gateway and other brand name computer suppliers are known to use low cost, low quality PSUs in their computers to keep costs down and this means it is a case of not if but when the power supply fails, the problem is when they go they can take other components with them and symptoms can manifest themselves in many different ways, inc yours, no display, HDD or optical drive failure to name just a couple.
You seem convinced it is an overheating problem, how many case fans do you have, are they all working, this includes the PSU fan.

r111g

r111g

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hello Phillpower2

My HS Fan stopped working, which caused the Overheating and shutting down, so I switched to a new one and that was when it started doing this....

"After awhile the Emachine logo comes up then it looks like it will boot to windows.
But no it does not.
It goes back to the black screen and the blinking cursor.
After awhile for the black screen it will auto shut down due to overheating."

So now it does not boot at all but before I put this new HS unit on it would go to windows and auto shutdown after about 30 minutes.

This is a work cpu and I hope all of my Hdrive programs and software are alright.

Thank  you for your reply,

r111g

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

This is a work cpu and I hope all of my Hdrive programs and software are alright.

Are you self employed? If not is it not your employers responsibility to repair this!
If you are self employed and worried about losing your data can you loan a USB HDD enclosure like the one at the link http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817182155 this would allow you to remove the HDD and then use the enclosure to transfer your data to another computers HDD for safe keeping.
With the additional info you have provided it is entirely possible that due to the HS fan failure the TIM (thermal interface material) has baked/become hardened by the excessive heat, this would mean you need to clean off the old paste, prepare the mating surfaces and then re-apply only the correct amount of TIM, too much is as bad as too little, if your MB has a thermal sensor it will be shutting the system down to protect it, especially the processor itself.
If you read this article by Digerati you will have a better understanding http://www.geekstogo...rface-material/

r111g

r111g

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thank you, Phillpower2

This may be the reason it is still overheating after I have replaced the HSF.

The New HSF is: Thermaltake  P/N:CL-P0497

It does have it's own paste but I never cleaned off the old paste. (Too scared I might cause my Processor to break or be shocked.)

I will try cleaning it off and let you know how it goes.

r111g

p.s. Acetone nail polish remover okay to use?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

p.s. Acetone nail polish remover okay to use?

I have only ever used Arctic Silver 5 kits which have the cleaning and preparing agents included in the kit.
Acetone or 90% pure (not proof) alcohol and a lint free cloth can also be used, be sure to remove the power cord from the wall and to ground yourself before reaching inside the case (touch a bare metal part of the case).

r111g

r111g

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Yes, I remember to ground myself.

I will try this when I return home a little later and let you know if it works for me.

I hope it does.

Thank you

r111g

r111g

r111g

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Phillpower2 I  used 100% Acetone.

It's still doing the same thing as I orginally posted.

I assume this means I need a new processor.

:D

But I do hope it means something else something that can be cheaply fixed.

Any ideas anyone?

Thank you in advance!

r111g

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
A step by step look at this then to 1st look at any overheating possibility.
1: The CPU fan failed, you replaced it, the issue persists.
2: You cleaned off the old TIM, re-applied a fresh amount, the issue persists.
This only leaves re-seating the processor itself to try and rule the CPU itself out. (this would involve cleaning and preparing the HS and top of the CPU again.
Other causes of over heating and how to attempt to resolve them are;
1: Insufficient cooling and extraction inside the case, check that all fans are working including the one at the rear of the PSU, make sure that all cables are tidy so that the air can move/be extracted freely otherwise warm air is simply moved around inside the case and over the components CPU, HDD, Ram, Video etc, this in itself increases temperatures, how many case fans do you have? Try removing the side of the case and having a desk fan blow inside whilst you try and boot up.
2: Dust bunnies, remove the Ram stick/s, blow out the slots and replace the Ram securely, do the same with any add on cards you may have (video - NIC - sound etc) dust not only creates heat but static electricity also.
3: Failing or failed PSU, try another known good PSU, due to the complexity of the voltages that a PSU puts out +3.3V, +5V and +12V it can appear that the PSU is working fine but if any one of the rails is faulty it will prevent the computer from functioning correctly, if the PSU is putting out too much juice it can cause not only over heating but fire also, that is why the PSU is the first thing you must try and eliminate as the cause.
A Failing PSU will slowly kill your computer a failed PSU can instantly kill your computer.
Well there is a bit of work to be checked out above I hope it doesn`t ruin your Christmas.

r111g

r111g

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Greetings and Merry Christmas to Yu and Yours: Phillpower2, 

No way is your "Helping" me ruining my Christmas!

Thats funny you mentioned the "warm air" because when all this first began I did feel "warm air" coming from the  PSU in the back  of my CPU. That was when I took a can of  computer "air spray" to clean out all the dust, even the dust from the PSU fan.

My next move is to clean out all the little "dust bunnies" from my computer (I never thought of cleaning the ram sticks and such) and hopefully this will work!

I do not have an extra PSU but will buy one on Monday (today is Saturday and Christmas day here in the USA) when all the stores reopen and try it out if all my 'spring cleaning' of my cpu doesn't work.

Your "Help" is Much Appreciated,

r111g

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Seasons greetings and best wishes to one and all :D
I would suggest you do what you can without spending any cash at the moment, this includes doing all your spring cleaning and blowing the desk fan into the case with the side off, can you try and get an idea of how hot the HDD is getting when the side is off, it may be getting hot and locking up.
If the cleaning etc does not prove positive do you have a local comp store who can test your PSU before you go to the expense of purchasing a replacement, the PSU may not be the cause and I would not like you to spend cash unnecessarily, if you do what you can and then post back if it is not resolved we can take it from there.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi.

Before you go out and buy any hardware.

A couple of questions to add to Phillpower2 post. Please answer each question so that each item can be eliminated.

Did you clean off the pad from the bottom of the CPU heatsink as well as the old paste on the processor? If the pad was left on there will be too much gunk sandwich and heat will not be transfered. If not
redo that step.

Did you apply the correct amount of TIM?

Is the heatsink fan clean and is it installed with the arrow facing the right way according to the installation instructions?

Is the heatsink secured correctly? There should be no wobble or very little side to side Movement. GENTLY try to move it about.

Have you connected the fan plug to the CPU fan header? Make sure not to connect to the PSU or SYS fan headers.

When you boot up, do you hear any beeps from the system speaker OR see any flashing lights on the motherboard?

On boot up, do all the fans spin up? They should all spin quite quickly and windows starts should settle down a little but not stop.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hi iammykyl and Merry Christmas, did you get all your wrapping done?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi Phillpower2 and a merry Christmas to you.

Stupidly started watching a film, finished wrapping at 1.30AM. Not winging though, something I have always done before going to bed, I really enjoy doing it.

Edited by iammykyl, 25 December 2010 - 06:27 AM.

r111g

r111g

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Greetings Iammykyl:

I did clean the old paste from the top of the processor. "the pad from the bottom of the heatsink" I don't think so I guess I have to lift off the processor and clean under it.

As I said the PSU fan was blowing out hot air and it did seem a bit slow in turning.

I am going to try everything you and phillpower2 instructed and hope it works.

I shall return here and let you both know.

Thank you,

r111g