Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

COmputer boots multiple before start up with only a keyboard error?

• Please log in to reply

aethera

aethera

• Pip
  • 6 posts
It shows a "keyboard error or no keyboard present" in the event log and the computer keeps taking a few reboots to start up fully. This is the only thing that's coming up though.

I've gone through several tests. The hard drive is fine, I did a memtest and that is fine, I added more ram anyway because there was only 256mb and I'm still getting the over and over reboot.

I tried using another keyboard and this keeps happening.

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
What kind of keyboard are you using?

A PS2 or a USB keyboard and when you said you try another keyboard did you switch it with one that as the same kind of connectors or did you tried both kind and they both leave the same keyboard error message.

You can try to go into your BIOS menu and change the HALT ON ALL ERRORS or HALT ONLY ON KEYBOARD to HALT ON NO ERRORS. and after changing it to no errors and you boot will your keyboard work every time.

aethera

aethera

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

What kind of keyboard are you using?

A PS2 or a USB keyboard and when you said you try another keyboard did you switch it with one that as the same kind of connectors or did you tried both kind and they both leave the same keyboard error message.

You can try to go into your BIOS menu and change the HALT ON ALL ERRORS or HALT ONLY ON KEYBOARD to HALT ON NO ERRORS. and after changing it to no errors and you boot will your keyboard work every time.

I suppose the PS2 is the old circular outlet? That one and both keyboards were that. I'm going to go pick up a usb keyboard today and see what happens.

IF I still get the error, how do I do that in BIOS. I don't see much in this BIOS. I tried updating it to A02 but I don't know how to burn a bootable disc with a .exe file and I don't know how to change it to .iso.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Depending of your computer the BIOS may look different so if you can tell me your computer model name (if an HP, Dell Acer ect) or if a clone (home build) i will need a the motherbard name and model (Asus, Gygabyte, ect) like my computer it is an ASUS P5N32-E, usually the model is written in big letters on the motherboard itself.

If I can know your model I may be able to tell you where to go and disable the HALT ON ALL ERRORS. Depending on the model it is usually on the main page of the BIOS menu, the same page as where you will see your IDE / SATA drives and Floopy 3 1/2 displayed you would see a line title HALT ON ALL ERRORS with by default is set to KEYBOARD ONLY, if you see it put it at NONE save your new settings and reboot.

If it is a brand name (HP, Compaq, Acer) the BIOS menu are different.

If after putting at none and windows as loaded and you see that even Windows does not see your keyboard then it is your PS2 connectors that are at fault and you may solve the problem by using a USB keyboard.

aethera

aethera

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Depending of your computer the BIOS may look different so if you can tell me your computer model name (if an HP, Dell Acer ect) or if a clone (home build) i will need a the motherbard name and model (Asus, Gygabyte, ect) like my computer it is an ASUS P5N32-E, usually the model is written in big letters on the motherboard itself.

If I can know your model I may be able to tell you where to go and disable the HALT ON ALL ERRORS. Depending on the model it is usually on the main page of the BIOS menu, the same page as where you will see your IDE / SATA drives and Floopy 3 1/2 displayed you would see a line title HALT ON ALL ERRORS with by default is set to KEYBOARD ONLY, if you see it put it at NONE save your new settings and reboot.

If it is a brand name (HP, Compaq, Acer) the BIOS menu are different.

If after putting at none and windows as loaded and you see that even Windows does not see your keyboard then it is your PS2 connectors that are at fault and you may solve the problem by using a USB keyboard.

I have a Dell Dimension 2350. Motherboard Bluford E139765

I just tried a USB mouse and it keeps rebooting. I don't even see the Windows screen before reboot now. The event log isn't showing any errors though.......

Some more info. My diagnostic lights start up with amber A and C then change to A and D then go green, then reboot.

Edited by aethera, 24 December 2010 - 11:36 AM.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
If I understand you now say it will not even boot into windows anymore, just starts and soon after reboots itself.

After reading the Manual for your model they explain the diagnostics lights and for the A and C they explain it means a Video Controller failure.

For the light A and D they do not have any message for the two together but D alone means OTHER failure has occurred

herer are the codes for the diagnostic lights

A + B Memory modules are detected, but a memory failure has occurred.
B + D Memory modules are detected, but a memory configuration or compatibility error exists.
A + C + D No memory modules are detected.
A + C A video controller failure has occurred.
D Other failure has occurred.

If we look at the pattern it started with your keyboard not being recognize, then with an USB mouse it will not even get to the Windows Logon screen then you have flashing light that seem to be pointing to a Video Controller problem.

It looks to me that it is either two things 1- Your motherboard is done or it is your Power Supply Unit (PSU) that is not giving the motherboard enough power.

Try to borrow if you can a known good Power Supply Unit and try it on your motherboard, if this solves your problem we will know it is your PSU the problem if you still the same issues it is probably your motherbaord. If you have any addon card on your PCI slots I would remove them before trying the new PSU.

It probably has nothing to do with your problems but to be on the safe side, try replacing your CMOS battery on the motherboard, they are cheap and you never know.

aethera

aethera

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

If I understand you now say it will not even boot into windows anymore, just starts and soon after reboots itself.

After reading the Manual for your model they explain the diagnostics lights and for the A and C they explain it means a Video Controller failure.

For the light A and D they do not have any message for the two together but D alone means OTHER failure has occurred

herer are the codes for the diagnostic lights

A + B Memory modules are detected, but a memory failure has occurred.
B + D Memory modules are detected, but a memory configuration or compatibility error exists.
A + C + D No memory modules are detected.
A + C A video controller failure has occurred.
D Other failure has occurred.

If we look at the pattern it started with your keyboard not being recognize, then with an USB mouse it will not even get to the Windows Logon screen then you have flashing light that seem to be pointing to a Video Controller problem.

It looks to me that it is either two things 1- Your motherboard is done or it is your Power Supply Unit (PSU) that is not giving the motherboard enough power.

Try to borrow if you can a known good Power Supply Unit and try it on your motherboard, if this solves your problem we will know it is your PSU the problem if you still the same issues it is probably your motherbaord. If you have any addon card on your PCI slots I would remove them before trying the new PSU.

It probably has nothing to do with your problems but to be on the safe side, try replacing your CMOS battery on the motherboard, they are cheap and you never know.

Only thing, I don't have a USB mouse. I think you meant keyboard just then?

I can try another power supply, however as I look at mine it looks like some stuff is not plugged in. I'm not sure though these wires are all jumbled.

I added a new CMOS battery ages ago, lol.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
The minimum that should be connected from your PSU are:

On the motherboard:
20 pin main power connector
4 pin 12-V power connector

To other devices:
Your Hard Drive
Cd`DVD-rom
Floppy if there is one in your system

If you have extra HD and CD`DVD-rom those should be connected, so it is normal that you might have some connectors that are not used depending on your PSU.

If the ones on the motherboard are properly inserted as the one on your HD then it is all you need to boot all others are not necessary for the procedure of booting to windows (unless you want to boot to from a CD/DVD then it needs to be connected)

aethera

aethera

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

The minimum that should be connected from your PSU are:

On the motherboard:
20 pin main power connector
4 pin 12-V power connector

To other devices:
Your Hard Drive
Cd`DVD-rom
Floppy if there is one in your system

If you have extra HD and CD`DVD-rom those should be connected, so it is normal that you might have some connectors that are not used depending on your PSU.

If the ones on the motherboard are properly inserted as the one on your HD then it is all you need to boot all others are not necessary for the procedure of booting to windows (unless you want to boot to from a CD/DVD then it needs to be connected)

It was the PSU. I tried someone else's and it booted up just fine. Thanks so much. You're the only person that helped me.
I'm so exasperated by this that I can't even be excited that it's fixed. I've gone through so many fixes over this week. Lord.

Thanks so much again though!

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
I am glad it is resolve, I love computers and i know how it can be frustrating when they do not work and we can't find a solution.

Happy computing.

aethera

aethera

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

I am glad it is resolve, I love computers and i know how it can be frustrating when they do not work and we can't find a solution.

Happy computing.

Thank you again!