Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New LCD Failure

• Please log in to reply

Marlo1

Marlo1

• Pip
  • 2 posts
My Compaq Presario M2000 LCD screen developed a vertical yellow line on the left hand side of the screen. I tried to pull the screen apart but only made more lines appear. So I bought a new compatible screen of ebay. I installed the new screen and the same yellow line is displayed on the new screen in exactly the same place as the old one. I have tried removing and re-attaching the video flex cable/ribbon from the back of the screen and from the curcuit board but this does nothing. When outputed to an external moniter the display is perfect. any idea of what could be causing the same yellow vetical line in the same place on the new screen ?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hi Marlo1 :D
I would recommend that you replace the MB to LCD screen ribbon, this is based on the fact that the same yellow line is present on your new screen and so is the old ribbon, the line does not appear on an external screen, this is because the ribbon is not being used, the VGA port is, again pointing towards the ribbon.
Remove and closely inspect first the ribbon for wear and tear (the laptop lid opening and closing) heat from the internal components causing brittleness which can lead to hairline cracks in the ribbon insulation, the ribbon itself can sometimes come away from the end connectors/MB/screen plugs and finally check the ribbon connection point on the MB itself for signs of defect or any other reason why a good connection is not being made, debris/dust inside the socket.
I hope one of the above helps you to resolve the issue but let us know either way.

Marlo1

Marlo1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I bought a replacement LCD ribbon off ebay installed the new ribbon but the lines are still there in the same place ! So to sum it all up the Replacement LCD screen and the replacement LCD ribbon are showing the same lines in exactly the same place as the old screen and ribbon !

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Try updating your video chip drivers, other than that as I said in post #2 "ribbon connection point on the MB itself for signs of defect or any other reason why a good connection is not being made, debris/dust inside the socket" as you do not get the issue on an external screen I do not believe it is the MBs integrated GFX chip.