Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Mixing Windows and CPUs

• Please log in to reply

r111g

r111g

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
If you have read my last Topic Problem you know that my work cpu is down.What I want to do is remove the HD from that down cpu (which is Vista Home Edition SP1 - Emachine 5088) and place it in a portable case and attach it to this computer (which is XP Profession SP2 - Compaq).

I would attach it via USB and transfer some of the important files I need to work with right away onto this xp cpu.
Now can I do this or will one of the Harddrives explode/die bec. I am mixing 2 different versions of windows.
Plus what about the fact that the Vista the main/boot drive. What should I do? I need those files off that Vista cpu.

Thank you in advance for your help,

r111g 

Advertisements

Salagubang

Salagubang

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,891 posts
Hi r111g,

If you're going to put the Vista Harddisk into an enclosure and connect it to the other PC using the USB port then no, the harddisk will not explode and/or die.

:D

r111g

r111g

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hello Salagubang:

I needed to be sure

Thank you for your response.

r111g

MS-Free

MS-Free

• PipPipPip
  • 425 posts
I'm no Hardware expert, but I see no problems in anything you're wanting to do. Proceed as you figured. Remove the HDD from the dead Vista, place it into one of those portable cases, plug it in to the XP and transfer the files as you would from any other device. (Don't worry that it used to be the master drive for Vista - I don't think that really comes into play once it becomes a USB device.)