Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista Ultimate 64-bit blue screen

• Please log in to reply

cstap

cstap

• Pip
  • 4 posts
new to the site. i saw a similar topic, but to be safe just started this one. just installed a cisco wireless n router. went wireless on my desktop and now all of a sudden i get the blue screen a couple times a day. says something about the "tcpip.sys" crashed or something.. the usual "not_equal_to.. blah blah blah" anyway. downloaded "free window registry repair 2.0" finds errors and fixes them but everytime i scan it finds more...

trying to attach a zip copy of the minidump file but im always getting an error. how do i do this? any info would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hi cstap :D
The issue you are having can be caused by drivers or two AV or firewalls conflicting (racing to install first) Microsoft are aware of this issue and have issued a "hotfix" for it which is available from here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/979278 I recommend you check it out/read through it thoroughly before installing it.

anyway. downloaded "free window registry repair 2.0" finds errors and fixes them but every time i scan it finds more...

Steer clear of so called Registry Cleaners, I don`t know of any that are not a con, do not cause or tell you that you have more issues than what you started with or are not attempting to sell you something, but most importantly I have never once seen or heard a Tech endorse or recommend them and I know who I trust.

cstap

cstap

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
probably not a good thing to do but this is what i did. uninstalled zone alarm firewall. and *BAM* FIXED. for now. just dont have a firewall other than the windows and one thats on my router. havent had blue screen in a day. uninstalled a bunch of useless garbage. seems to be working fine. thanks man! appreciated!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
No problem, thanks for the update :D for your peace of mind Windows security is preferred by a lot of people nowadays due to its vast improvements, also running multiple AVs and firewalls not only causes conflicts it slows your computer down also.

cstap

cstap

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
i Have avast! antivirus installed.
and just re-installed zone alarm free firewall.
i also disabled the windows firewall AND disabled the built in firewall on the router...
so you're saying most people just do away with ALL of the these.
and run JUST Windows Defender and Firewall.
and RE-enable the "stock" firewall on the router.
i just enjoy zone alarm because i can actually allow or deny certain if not most programs access to the internet.
because i have some programs id rather not have access to the internet.
i have noticed it getting a little slower.. i mean i notice it because i built the setup. but i guess its okay.
just with some youtube vids and opening media on my computer.. music, etc. facebook games kind of lag.. any info is greatly appreciated.
i have 1 gb kit (2x512) of pc3200 ddr mem and 1 gb of pc2700 ddr single channel both. so a total of 2gb but for some reason it notices BOTH as 333. i want to get 3 gb of dual channel pc3200. would this drastically be an improvement. noticeable?
thanks for all the help and whats to come.
later.

cstap

cstap

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
ive also uninstalled free windows registry repair and installed AML Free Registry Cleaner.. ive used it before and works well. i should not use this either? does the disk defrager do all this? i just want my $hit to run fast again. or just a lil quicker without having to spend an arm and a leg. you know with electronics these days. spend $100 on something today. in 2 weeks its $49.99. again thanks in advance.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

i Have avast! antivirus installed.
and just re-installed zone alarm free firewall.
i also disabled the windows firewall AND disabled the built in firewall on the router...
so you're saying most people just do away with ALL of the these.
and run JUST Windows Defender and Firewall.
and RE-enable the "stock" firewall on the router.
...installed AML Free Registry Cleaner

If it were me I would:

• Re-enable the hardware firewall in your router
  • Uninstall/disable/delete any/all 'registry cleaners'

i have 1 gb kit (2x512) of pc3200 ddr mem and 1 gb of pc2700 ddr single channel both. so a total of 2gb but for some reason it notices BOTH as 333.

It'll only go as fast as the slowest RAM can handle.

i want to get 3 gb of dual channel pc3200. would this drastically be an improvement. noticeable?

Drastically? NO.
Noticeable? Possibly, but doubtful.
(If you've got the cash, max it out with the fastest RAM it'll handle. It's only money. :D).

... AML Free Registry Cleaner.. does the disk defrager do all this?

Nope. A disk defragger defragments fragmented files. (Reorganizes separated fragments of files into a contiguous arrangement).

i just want my $hit to run fast again. or just a lil quicker without having to spend an arm and a leg.

If your system is used regularly and you haven't reinstalled the Operating System in the last couple of years, doing so usually gets rid of the 'cobwebs' and speeds things back up.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
That pretty much covers that lot then, thanks Doc :D
Only have one AV and one Firewall on your computer itself, read reviews ask for advice and then go for what you feel is the best and suits your needs, some people have the misconception that having multiple AVs and Firewalls is better and makes them infallible, whilst this may make their systems more secure it also makes them unstable, slow and sometimes unusable.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Exactly. Two running programs that do the same thing are going to end up fighting with each other.

"No!, it should be this way!"

"Nuh-Uh!, it goes this way!".

And, all the while they are slowing down your system simply in order to continue this arguing back and forth, and back and forth, and back and forth, ad nauseam. :D ;)