Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Netbook - Strange Startup Software

• Please log in to reply

travelislife

travelislife

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hi,

After my MSI U100 served me well I have bought the U160 with 6 cell battery and 250 GB hard drive. Now I bought this netbook through buy.com when in the states. Upon start up some interesting things have occured:

1. The language was all in chinese (I changed all language and location settings to English)
2. There are a bunch of diagnostics tools which are running on startup (NBTest?) which are all in chinese. I have attached a screenshot.
3. Now the strangest thing is that it is loaded with Windows 7 Ultimate instead of starter edition!

Now everything on the netbook is running fine, except there are some folders through my documents that I can't access and I don't know how to uninstall all of the test programs as they are all in chinese.

It is as if they were half way through the diagnostics and didn't finish. One thing is when I click on 'Change time and date settings' from the taskbar it doesn't let me and pops up with the 'diskprotector' on the taskbar with a lot of chinese.

Now should I be worried about any of this (pre installed tracking software?), any idea how to uninstall this or has anyone ever come across something similar?

Cheers

P.S. This site isn't working with Firefox, couldn't attach file or see the Options section

Attached Thumbnails

• Screenshot.jpg

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
It's defective, return it.

Buy.com > Return Policy
http://www.buy.com/r...p.asp?loc=67219

travelislife

travelislife

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
What makes you say it is defective? Unfortunately I am not in the states anymore so it would be very hard for me to return it.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

What makes you say it is defective?

Simply because it is apparently not working as it should be ... straight out of the box.

Unfortunately I am not in the states anymore so it would be very hard for me to return it.

Sorry to hear that. Have you tried MSI tech support?
http://us.msi.com/su...TechSupport.asp

travelislife

travelislife

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

What makes you say it is defective?

Simply because it is apparently not working as it should be ... straight out of the box.

Unfortunately I am not in the states anymore so it would be very hard for me to return it.

Sorry to hear that. Have you tried MSI tech support?
http://us.msi.com/su...TechSupport.asp

Yep too true SpywareDr it should have worked straight out of the box you are right! Just annoying as all hardware does seem to be working fine.

I have lodged a message with the tech support now outlining the same above. They have worldwide warranty service (I am located in Australia) so should be ok, will see what plays out and let you know how I go.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Excellent. Let's us know how they treat you ...