Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Graphics card

• Please log in to reply

Innos

Innos

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
Are all graphic cards compatible with all motherboards? Or it can be that a motherboard can't be compatible with a graphic card or all graphic cards?

I have a 2nd computer (dell optiplex gx 620) and it doesn't have a "room" for a graphic card. I have checked it..

Any ideas?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hi Innos

Are all graphic cards compatible with all motherboards?

No, there are 3 types of add on GFX card, the oldest and possibly least used nowadays is the PCI type followed by the AGP type of the 1980s and early 1990s and now the most popular type in use today is the PCI-E X16, this type of card comes in different version numbers ver 1.0, ver 1.1, ver 2.0 and ver 2.1, most of these cards are backwards compatible ie a ver 2.0 card can work in a MB with a ver 1.1 slot but a ver 1.0 GFX card will not work correctly if at all in a MB with a ver 2.0 slot.
The only one of these cards that can be used in different MBs is the PCI type and this is only if there is a PCI slot available on the MB, it will not work in either an AGP or PCI-E slot.
I have attached a link to a review and the specs of your computer and it says your MB has a PCI-E X16 GFX card slot which is good as far as upgrading the GFX card goes http://reviews.cnet....7-31420314.html Is this your computer?
I hope my explanation is not too long winded and that it helps you understand anything you were not sure about.

Innos

Innos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Thanks for the answer.

That's the mini one. I got this one. It's the first on the left (the big one).

So if I want to buy a graphic card, what do I need to do? Check my motherboard for compatibility? If yes, how? Shall I search on google? Or when I'll buy the video card I'll have to see on it's box if it's compatible with my pc's motherboard?

Also, as you know enough of these, I would like to ask you something else. What's the best processor? Inter core i3, i5, i7? Many say that I should stick on i5 but I don't know why..
If I want to buy a processor too, shall I check on it's box if it's compatible with my motherboard?
The program "everest" can tell me all about my motherboard right?

Sorry if the questions are too many, but I can't help it when I know that someone can answer me and learn from him :D

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Thanks for the answer

You are welcome, I am happy if I can help others :D

So if I want to buy a graphic card, what do I need to do? Check my motherboard for compatibility

Here is a link to your MB manual it tells you what is compatible and it says any add on PCI-E GFX card must be the low profile type; http://support.dell....0.htm#wp1130169
when you open the document click on One low-profile PCI Express x16 card slot and it should take you to the page showing you how to fit an add on GFX card, before you purchase the new card double check it is the correct MB as shown in the user manual.

What's the best processor? Inter core i3, i5, i7

You will always get different and often avoiding answers (like from me) on this issue, the same with Intel Vs AMD and Dual core Vs triple core Vs quad Vs six core!
There are many factors to take into account but to be simplistic I would look at it this way, if money was no object and you built a computer with the very best of every components in it (if they were all compatible) how much of the available capability could or would you need to use, here is one quote from a review I recently read but don`t forget times and products are constantly changing;

It is generally accepted that the Core i5 750 remains the best overall value out of all the processors in the Core lineup

If I want to buy a processor too, shall I check on it's box if it's compatible with my motherboard?

Partially correct, check what processors are compatible with your MB and then do some research to establish what is the best available CPU for the MB and if it is within your budget, you will obviously need to check the box before you purchase to make sure it is the correct item but you can only do this in store it is not possible to do online.

The program "everest" can tell me all about my motherboard right?

Normally this is correct but there are occasions when everest cannot, OEM or unbranded MBs for instance.

Sorry if the questions are too many, but I can't help it when I know that someone can answer me and learn from him

No problem whatsoever, I joined the forum seeking assistance myself, because after visiting a local comp store it was obvious the guy there was driven by money, I got the best advice free of charge from GTG Techs rshaffer61 and makai so I decided to try and put something back by assisting others if I can, the bonus is I am always learning something myself ;)