Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

MS-Dos error message in boot up

• Please log in to reply

Lag1rich

Lag1rich

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
I have a HP referbed compaq nx6125, on boot up in MS-Dos I get - Non-System disk or disk error replace and strike any key when ready.

There is nothing in the Cd-Rom drive, I press any key and it comes back up - the only way to get past it is to pres ctrl+alt+delete for it to carry on to windows, Also in dos it says tame and date not set.

Any advice welcome,

Thanks, Richard

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Non-System disk or disk error replace and strike any key when ready.

Means it's having trouble reading the designated boot drive(s). (Hopefully it's not a problem with the hard drive itself).

... it says tame and date not set.

Sounds like a dead CMOS battery ... which is usually easy to replace on a Desktop, not so easy on most Laptops/Notebooks.

Next time you go to boot it up, go into the BIOS/CMOS Setup, set the date and time, then save and exit. (Don't turn it off or disconnect it from power at this point though). If you then get NO errors on bootup, replacing the CMOS battery will probably fix both errors.

Edited by SpywareDr, 26 December 2010 - 05:24 AM.

Lag1rich

Lag1rich

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Hi there, Thanks for the advice it was the cmos battery

Thanks, Rich

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts