Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Near-miss with virus/hack

• Please log in to reply

FrankW39

FrankW39

• Pip
  • 1 posts
So while surfing the web, I somehow caught some virus that presented itself as a anti-virus program. I was forced to restart in safemode, rooted out the virus and deleted it, and got my computer back to normal.

However, once I rebooted, I found that my internet connection was not working, saying that "connection to the proxy server was refused". I found, strangely enough, that certain websites could still access the net - my stock trading brokerage website, and my online banking websites. I found this very suspicious and did not log in to any of those websites.

I dug around and found out that my internet settings on my browser had been modified from "use no proxy" to using a certain proxy with a specific IP address. My question is - did I almost get scammed? And now that I've reverted back to no proxy and deleted the specific info on the proxy server, is it safe to go back to logging in? I've run several antivirals and ad-aware, and they've all come up clean. I have a plethora of different passwords, none of which I typed in while the computer was compromised. Should I still change them?

Advertisements