Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Any AM3 socket or core?

• Please log in to reply

ts128158

ts128158

• Pip
  • 4 posts
My parents just bought me a new hp pavilion 6653w as a gaming system for christmas, and I'm coming to find its falling short in a few ways. I have my video card picked out as well as the psu. The system has a Athlon II X2 250 3.0 GHz 65W processor which is a AM3 socket. Would I be able to replace it with a faster processor that isn't an Athlon IIx2, like for example a Phenom IIx2 as long as there both AM3? Also, would I have to stick with duel core or can I use quad core processors on the mobo that is with this system now? Thanks! To give a baseline I want to be able to run the newer COD games without issues.

Here are the details of the HP 6653w: http://h10025.www1.h...product=4313690

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Any AM3 board should be able to take any AM3, AM2+ or AM2 processor you care to throw at it.
Considering the six core processors have been available since April and that machine was released in August, I'd be surprised if it doesn't take a triple, quad or Phenom processor.

However if you want to game on it, you'll need a separate graphics card. And a better power supply, as it's only 250w.

Edited by Neil Jones, 27 December 2010 - 08:50 AM.

ts128158

ts128158

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I wonder if HP sold the computer with the current processor just to keep the cost down. I tried to find some info on the mobo its self and I cant find anything. Lets say I do place in a processor that is a quad or Phenom is there any chance of frying out the mobo?

mkau

mkau

• PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
No, there isn't any chance of frying the board unless it's a 140w TDP processor, only some boards support that.

ts128158

ts128158

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Which processor would you guys recommend then?

mkau

mkau

• PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
I would recommend a Phenom II x4 970, seeing as overclocking on any OEM board is impossible buy the one with the highest available clock rate. I would also seriously recommend an upgraded heatsink. I like Corsair's A50 and A70, since they are quite good and use the stock AM3 heatsink bracket.

ts128158

ts128158

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thank you maku for your help!!

Treize

Treize

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Just to chime in, depending on how much you want to spend you could go with the Athlon II X4 quad core. It's definately not the Phenom but it can definately get the job done. It will really come down to what games your really interested in. I have several builds and I find that my Athlon II X4 can handle a lot of things (coupled with my graphics card of course). If you dont mind spending the money go ahead and get a Phenom II but its not required.

I even think the Athlon II X2 would do well for you, the big factor will be RAM and your graphics card!

Edited by Treize, 28 December 2010 - 10:08 AM.